Chicks run away?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by equinelyn, Jun 6, 2011.

1. equinelyn

equinelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Southern York County
    What do you do to bond with your baby chicks? I try to handle mine as much as possible but they always try to get the heck away from me...

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  2. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Always have treats! Sit quietly with them and let them come to you. Move slowly and quietly among them, and never reach down to pet or pick them up. Predators come from above them, so they tend to not like it when your hand reaches down for them. And be patient. It takes a lot of time for them to not be scared of you. Trust me, one day you will not be able to walk in your yard/run/coop because they will run to you and crowd around your feet. But it takes time and patience.

And I'll say again- have treats.

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Just keep at it. Like the poster said above, use lots of treats! I've spent a lot of time with mine and they all are lap chickens. Some are much easier to train then others. I sit with them in the house. I use a towel on my lap and keep toilet paper next to me and immediately clean the poo. I have 3 out of 8 that lay on their side, wing/neck/leg all stretched and the others just sit quietly. It takes a few weeks of handling before they are not afraid for the skittish ones. Good luck!

4. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    Mine were 5 weeks old before any of them would come to me and I still have many that would rather run away. Treats help and so does regular handling. It takes time and quiet patience (and children who sneak into the pen to hug chickens seems to be helping, too).

My Delawares are now bold and will chomp at my fingers and toes! They don't mind being picked up now, either, but my RIRs are still pretty chicken.

5. chicken995

chicken995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    Northern Colorado
    Treats and time. Apparently some need more time than others. My silkies (which I thought were supposed to be friendly) still believe that I am going to eat them.

6. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    Quote:that is interesting... I have bantam BO, Polish and silkies.... my BO think I am going to eat them, the Polish want to get on my shoulders, and the little silkies always come running to me for me to pick them up...

Isn't it neat how they are all different... even the same breeds?

To the OP... treats work great as mentioned. I have been giving watermelon slices and my silkies are always the first to check it out... I sit in the coop with the watermelon in front of me and randomly pick up a chick here and there... they have become less afraid of me (except for the BO... )

7. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    And my BOs are my most friendly. Ha!

8. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    Quote:Do you have standard size? I have always been around the standards and adored them... when we got out silkies and polish the standards couldn't ship with them... so I had to get the bantam. I wonder if mine are that way because they are bantams? They have little chicken syndrome... they randomly go around and peck everyone. They are also TEENY TINY compared to everyone else.. [​IMG]

9. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Some of my chicks liked me and some didn't. As adults some came to me for treats and others stand back. I think my buff orp is the friendliest and lets me hold her the most. The rest just tolerate me. I am okay with that. I do give them treats and they will take treats from me but I don't feel compelled to do more them admire them and let them be. It is harder when one has bumble foot and I have to wait till bed time to get her and treat it. I love it when my Honey lets me pick her up and walk around with her. I have bells on the back door and anytime I exit the house they all hear the bells and come a running.
    Caroline

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by