Chicks Saved!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickens4jojo, Jun 5, 2008.

1. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    Just had to let everyone know that I was able to keep two little chicks from dying in the shell~~I had read some posts here on BYC & used the advice in "helping" them out of their shells & it worked. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Two eggs could not seem to make it out of their shells: one had pipped just about 1/2" and the other had zipped around about 1 1/2" and just stayed there for 8 or more hours without advancing. I believed I would lose them if I did not do anything so I carefully peeled away their shells very, very slowly with a pair of disinfected tweezers. If there was any bleeding, I would pour some warm water over the area with an eye dropper being careful not to get any into their air hole on their beaks. I then place a clean paper towel over the affected area a little while. Then I would continue. Both chicks had a very sticky "extra" membrane all around them that was very strange to me.

I put them back in the incubator to see if they would be OK. And they were!

The first chick, I removed almost all of the shell except a larger chunk where the chick was attached to the shell. (Maybe I removed too much, I thought at first) The second chick, I tried to leave all of the area around the bottom half of the egg so it could push out with its feet. Both of them are now in my brooder, healthy & cheeping just like all the other normally hatched chicks.

It is the first time I have tried anything like this & I am so happy that it worked. Thanks to all of you at BYC I now have one Buff Orpington & 1 Beautiful Silkie chick! [​IMG]

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Glad they did okay ... chicks can take 24 hours from pipping to zipping out of their shells...they are learning to breathe on their own, absorbing their yolk sacs and resting is also big part of it.....

3. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    Oh~it could be I "jumped the gun" then. It's just that every hatch I have had, the first ones to pip would all be fine and then if I just leave the later ones to themselves, they always died in the shell after they pipped.

Plus, when I broke open the remaining eggs after the hatch was over, I discovered almost all of unhatched chicks had a fully formed chick in them, but had not absorbed the yolk and they all died in the shell without pipping at all. They all had a very sticky clearish membrane surrounding them as well. My hatch rate was only 38% this time. I think I do OK with the incubating but not with the hatching.

Any advice as to why this happens, BYC Folks??? [​IMG]

~~I'm not going to try to hatch any more until I can pinpoint why this happened though.
    Thanks for any advice you can give!!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by