Chicks scared of me!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by awesomefowl, Jul 16, 2010.

1. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

My baby silkies are scared of me! We have to chase them to pick one up. How can I make them more friendly? I had them very friendly but my little sister scares them out of their meager wits! She doesn't do it on purpose, but I hate having my birds so unfriendly and scared.[​IMG] Thx!

2. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    Quote:How old are they? Mine used to be afraid of me, but now that they are older, and know where their treats come from, they run to greet me. I trained all 15 of my girls with mini animal crackers. They are all named, and come when I call them. Each time I give them a treat, I say their name, so they learned their names pretty fast. [​IMG]
    If they are just young chicks, they just need time!

Jen

3. boogiedog

boogiedog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Oakland hills, CA
    Chickens, and most all birds, are naturally frightened by things that are above them - this is why bird cages are usually hung high (and chicks will hunker down when a big bird flies over). I found my chicks were frightened of me the entire time they were in their brooder. What I did everyday, however, was to open the door and sit quietly holding out my hands with some treats on them. (They loved smushed raspberries). It took days for some to get the courage to come to my hand - but they did come to associate me, and my hands, with good things - treats! Once in the run, where they have space to move away or not, I find that when I sit down, they will come up to me. I can reach down and pick up most; others will hop onto my lap. The name of the game is patience, and allowing them to come to you. They will become friendly!

4. Arcane Araucana

Arcane Araucana Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2010
    Fort Mohave
    Quote:First - stop chasing them. Second - sit down (on the ground or on a chair). Third - have some treats ready (anything you know they like). Four - move slowly. Toss some treats out in front of you and let them come to you. When they do come to you, don't try to grab or snatch them up. Five - use patience. Six - teach your little sister steps one through five.

good luck!

5. KatieV

KatieV Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2009
    I'll have to do the tips mentioned in this post - my little chickies are starting to run from me. They are in my sunk in tub, so I am definately way above them. Good info! [​IMG]

6. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

But why do some peoples chcikens like to be held???? Mine hate it! I want them to be calm.

7. pontoosuc

pontoosuc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Richmond, MA
    What Arcane said, plus time and patience. It will be on their schedule.

Of our 14 chickens each one became more social with us at different times..
    Even some of the birds we didn't think liked us at all now jump into our laps
    For a pet..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by