1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks scattered all their food suddenly

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by eagrbeavr, Mar 19, 2016.

1. eagrbeavr

eagrbeavr Chillin' With My Peeps

I dont know if I have a problem. These chicks are about 5 days old. Everythings been going great, very contented. Today I noticed they scattered all their food. A large amount. Nearly an entire chick feeder. Theres only 3 chicks. They dont sound so contented either. Chirping a bit. Is there any idea of what, if anything is going on?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    When I brood chicks they are extremely wasteful with their feed, they seem to like to just keep spooning it out of the feeders, so that's normal. As far as the chirping, I would double check my temperatures as they make more noise when it's too hot or cold.

3. eagrbeavr

Ok thanks. It just seemed odd. I know they throw food around, but today all of it? theyre under a heating pad and they dont seem to be hanging out by the edge. Its going down to the 30s tonight again. so I'll go check them again, now that its dark to see if theyre theyre still chirping (it wasnt loud I should add), and where theyre hanging out under the pad, tucked deep in where its lower, or closer to the opening where its both an inch higher and obviously closer to the cold air. thanks for the reply

4. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    I don't think there is anything to worry about. They have learned to scratch. I might suggest that you place the feeder and waterer on a brick something to raise it up a little.

5. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I use a heat lamp so I can't help with whether they are warm enough.

6. eagrbeavr

Thanks Choco Maran. They are already.

oldhens, thanks. I just checked. They seem warm enough. Theyre not deep under nor near the opening. About dead center

7. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    They are scratching in their food. Raise their food up, it will help a bit.

8. eagrbeavr

Yeah I guess thats it. My boyfriend said he did see them pecking at the foodwile I was at work, so they did eat. I'll just raise the food up more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by