1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks scheduled to ship today! YAY!! Anyone else?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CountryBumpkin2011, Aug 1, 2011.

1. CountryBumpkin2011

CountryBumpkin2011 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2011
    Aurora, CO
    My 6 barred rocks are scheduled to ship today from Meyers, and should arrive between tomorrow and thursday! Hopefully closer to tomorrow than thursday. [​IMG] I am so excited! My kids are totally stoked and have been asking me continuously when they will be here. We are nearly done with the coop, only a few more days of work including painting. The brooder is set up in my office next to my room and I went to the feed store this weekend to get some supplies.

We chose to use organic chick starter and we also got grit and organic scratch. Do the baby chicks get the scratch and grit? Or should we wait to give them these when they get a bit older?

Also I have read that sometimes after shipping the chicks should get some electrolytes (especially in the heat)....should I try to give them a little gatorade? or pedialyte?

So is anyone else getting their chicks this week?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] and no, unfortunately I'm done with chickens [​IMG]

3. CountryBumpkin2011

Jul 7, 2011
    Aurora, CO
    Quote:Oh no! May I ask why you are done? I see you are from Amarillo, I am originally from Texas, Fort Worth to be specific...ahhh Texas, a state you can pretty much have any animal as long as it doesnt eat the neighbors...and in some cases even then [​IMG]

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    [​IMG] How exciting! Have fun with your new chicks!

5. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    Quote:Oh no! May I ask why you are done? I see you are from Amarillo, I am originally from Texas, Fort Worth to be specific...ahhh Texas, a state you can pretty much have any animal as long as it doesnt eat the neighbors...and in some cases even then [​IMG]

oh well there's lots of cats and dogs around here. They kept killing them no matter how much I tried to protect them [​IMG]

6. rgraf

rgraf Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    I have chicks shipping today too! They are my first. 2 buff orpingtons, 2 red star, 2 easter eggers, 2 black austrolorp. I hope they come tomorrow, the waiting is killing me!

7. CountryBumpkin2011

Jul 7, 2011
    Aurora, CO
    Quote:Oh I totally know how you feel.....the waiting is horrible! Good luck, and please post when you get them I would love to compare [​IMG]

8. hiker125

hiker125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Henryville
    My new babies come next week! A Barred Rock, a Red Star, a Speckled Sussex, a Black Austrolorop and a RIR. Congrats on your babies and here's hoping that they have a safe journey.[​IMG]

9. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    We gave ours a little bit of sugar in the water on the first day, that's all, no pedialyte or gatorade. And we used organic starter and scratch, but it was at least 3 weeks before we gave them any scratch or grit. Ours are now a healthy 12 weeks - and HUGE!

10. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I have my [​IMG] for a safe arrival for everyone's chicks! [​IMG]

And .
    We are going to need some pictures when they arrive! K? [​IMG]

~ Aspen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by