Chicks selling out?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ctchickmom, Apr 26, 2009.

1. ctchickmom

ctchickmom New Egg

Apr 22, 2009
    It seems like the feed stores and TSC have been selling out of chicks. Is this happening where you live?

The places that have any, have common ones but only a few of each like RIRs, sex links, or Rocks.

Which breeds are considered rare?

[​IMG]

2. chiknhut

chiknhut Chillin' With My Peeps

It seems like our TSC and local CO-OP only buy for Easter.

3. Feathered Wings

Feathered Wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Georgia
    Our TSC got in their last order last week and i was told that was it till next year. [​IMG]
    Thank the lord everytime i went there i had to be restrained by my DH saying you got enough chickens and ducks.

I can now go in there and not have to be dragged out saying "just one more duck" "just one chick is all i need" "Please" [​IMG]

4. the_great_snag

the_great_snag Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    The retail stores have to be very certain they will have enough demand to quickly sell out any chicks they keep in stock in their stores. If they feel demand is slacking off for the season they will stop carrying them in stock.

Luckily the hatcheries generally sell chicks for several months, but even they have to be careful not to hatch more chicks than they expect they will sell in a given week.

It's sad, but you must realize what happens to unsold chicks... [​IMG]

5. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

Chicks were sold out here in early April, maybe partly because of Easter but also the fact that there's a bit of chickenmania going on in our area from what I can tell.

If you Google "rare chicken breed" you'll find lots of descriptive web sites.

6. quenston

quenston Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Wyandotte Ok
    Our local farm stores seem to be getting fewer and fewer on the chicks, and they are starting to put them on clearence, I bought fourteen RIR pullets the other day for $1.00 a piece now instead of 20 chicks in two brooders now I have 34 in 3 brooders and boy oh boy do I have my hands full!!!!

7. kyliesmommax5

kyliesmommax5 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Yea our Big R store here doesnt have any anymore! I went in there a few days after Easter and they had already got rid of the brooders and everything! But I guess they just do it for the holiday and then stop selling...kinda sad in a way.

8. xadika

xadika Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  9. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Better they sell them out than discard them, which happened before chicken keeping became the rage.

10. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    I was in the TSC in Dover and they had Ducks(Mallards), Cornish, RIR, Red Sexlinks, and Bantams available, while I was standing there the Manager told one of the Employees, Anything that isnt gone this weekend gets marked down. Good thing he wasnt marking them down right then, or I might of had to bring some home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by