Chicks shaking head and water droplets fly out.....

nutmeg2356

Chirping
Feb 28, 2017
Hello everyone!
I have 8, 3 week old chicks. Yesterday I noticed one of my wyandotte chicks, pickle, sneezing when I picked her up, and little water droplets hit my arm and hand. No discharge around her nose or eyes, and no gasping or lethargic behavior. Just the sneezing and water flying out. Fast forward to this evening, and 3 chicks are now shaking their head and watery droplets are flying out, no sneezing. They are extremely active, eating, drinking, and overall acting normal. What do I do? I don't want them to get worse if their sick :(

They are on aspen shavings that I change every few days.

Hello everyone!
I have 8, 3 week old chicks. Yesterday I noticed one of my wyandotte chicks, pickle, sneezing when I picked her up, and little water droplets hit my arm and hand. No discharge around her nose or eyes, and no gasping or lethargic behavior. Just the sneezing and water flying out. Fast forward to this evening, and 3 chicks are now shaking their head and watery droplets are flying out, no sneezing. They are extremely active, eating, drinking, and overall acting normal. What do I do? I don't want them to get worse if their sick :(

They are on aspen shavings that I change every few days.
How are the chicks doing today?

How often is the sneezing. Do you notice the water fly out after they have been eating/drinking?

Chicks will sometimes sneeze/shake their head to clear their nares (nostrils) of food/water/debris. Dusty bedding, poor ventilation and dusty feed can also cause sneezing.

If they become lethargic or if you notice mucous from the nostrils or watery eyes, then they may have some type of respiratory illness.

Pretty much the same. I only noticed our barred rock sneeze once and shake her head when I picked her up. Besides that, just a few shaking their heads and the water flying out. Their food is pretty dusty, my whole office (the room where they're kept) is covered in dust. The shavings are not dusty, so the only culprit I can think of as far as the dust goes is the food. They are on the nutrena "country wise" medicated chick starter feed, in the big 40 lb bag. Super super dusty and fine particles when I scoop their food everyday...

Thats the only brand Big R sells in the Mchenry, IL store. Making a trip to Farm and Fleet today to see if I can find a different brand that is less dusty.

Do you think it could be the food making them shake their heads?

my opinion:

My chicks always ate fermented feed..so it was impossible for their feed to produce a dusty room but,
my room was covered in dust too, from the shavings.

Have you considered fermenting their feed...which is basically soaking it in water for a few days to see if that eliminates your dust problem.

Pretty much the same. I only noticed our barred rock sneeze once and shake her head when I picked her up. Besides that, just a few shaking their heads and the water flying out. Their food is pretty dusty, my whole office (the room where they're kept) is covered in dust. The shavings are not dusty, so the only culprit I can think of as far as the dust goes is the food. They are on the nutrena "country wise" medicated chick starter feed, in the big 40 lb bag. Super super dusty and fine particles when I scoop their food everyday...

Thats the only brand Big R sells in the Mchenry, IL store. Making a trip to Farm and Fleet today to see if I can find a different brand that is less dusty.

Do you think it could be the food making them shake their heads?
It sounds like you have a dust and possibly a ventilation problem.

Do you have your coop ready? If you do, you may want to consider brooding them outdoors. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/yes-you-certainly-can-brood-chicks-outdoors

Okay, now I'm worried. Dot (one of my favorites, a barred rock) was gaping her mouth open almost like a yawn, but numerous times in a row, followed by a sneeze.. Other than that, she jumped right in my hand and seems very alert and energetic. I opened the window in the office to get some fresh air in the room (today was the first day over 30 degrees since I got them, so couldn't do that before). Was working on the coop today, it should be done by the end of the week.

What do I do?? I know "gaping" their mouth open is not a good sign, and she is one of my favorites so I would be really heart broken if she passed away. Should I buy a small fan or air purifier to put in the room?

Just a quick suggestion. I am in Mchenry, got my chicks at big r too. I got the naturewise chick starter in the smaller bags and its been nice. It is however the unmedicated starter, so if you dont want to drive out to Woodstock maybe try it? It is only a seven pound bag, with a clear front so you can see the crumbles. Mine are at 4 weeks and havent had any sneezing issues with this food. Also nutmeg is my other nickname/screen name I use so good choice.

Back
Top Bottom