Chicks shipped to me today

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Stormy, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Stormy

Stormy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2008
    South Carolina
    Ok, I have my brooder box ready, my feed and water containers. My pine shavings on the bottom of the brooder box with paper towels over the pine shavings. My red light for warmth. My thermostat in the brooder box.

I also have Quick Chick to add to the water and I have "Grogel Plus B super hydrating gel" that is to be mixed with water.

Two questions:

1. Am I forgetting anything?

2. Do I give this "grogel Plus B hydrating gel in water AND the Quick Chick in the water? One or the other, or both?

The chicks should arrive by 7am tomorrow and if not tomorrow then the following morning.

I'm so excited!

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Call me crazy, but I've never used the grogel OR the chick quick type products. NOR have I ever done the old 'sugar water' thing. Given the choice of one product or the other, I'd give them the quick chick. I've read a lot of comments on the grogel that it was basically a waste of time.

For my own chicks (shipped OR hatched myself) have always I just given them good old clean water, and have never lost a chick that hatched out healthy to lethargy or weakness.

If they look poorly when you get them, then that might be a different matter, but if they are only in transit one day they should be pretty good unless they get zapped by too much heat.

Hope they arrive safe and sound!

3. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    I don't put the sugar in the water with chicks I hatch out, but I always do it for the first day or 2 for chicks that come in the mail. shipping is pretty rough on them sometimes, especially if it takes more than 1 day to get to you.
    I have lost chicks that came in the mail when I did not use the sugar. I figure better safe than sorry, and I stop after 2 days cause I think I read somewhere that gives them pasty butt
    It sounds like you have everything under control!
    hope they come quick for you!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by