Chicks sick HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickadee423, Jul 28, 2014.

1. chickadee423

chickadee423 Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2014
    well i had a chick a few days ago and it was very sick but it looked as if its eyes had been pecked out they eyes were white with only a little actual eye showing... i tried to get a warm paper towel and wipe the white out but it wouldnt come out! so full symptoms watery eyes... Eyes get crusted shut...The Sick chicken smell... and now i have 2 more chicks like this!!! the first chick has 1 eye like this so it eats and drinks the second baby as both eyes like that... someone please help!

Im going to get shavings in the morning to freshen up the chick coop i dont want to lose anymore chicks!!!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Flock Master Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old are these chicks? Can you get a picture? It sounds somewhat like coryza, a respiratory disease which can have a bad odor. Is there solid pus in the eyes? Here is some info on coryza and other respiratory diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
    Below is a chick with coryza:

[​IMG]

3. chickadee423

May 8, 2014
    Ohhh Thank you ... thank you ... thank you ... this is exactly what they have im gonna go down there in the morning and clean EVERYTHING do you think that will help???

ps....the chicks are about 2-3 months old

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  4. chickadee423

May 8, 2014
    Also should i try and remove the hard puss in the eyes?

5. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Coryza is extremely contagious you can treat the birds but even if they come good they will be carriers. Whilst I'm not suggesting that you should, some would cull. If you choose not to you must resign yourself to keeping a ' closed flock ' . That means no birds in , no birds out.
    The recommended antibiotics are sulfadimethoxine, added to the water, you can irrigate the eyes with saline and put Terramycin eye drops or chlorsig human drops in both eyes twice a day.
    Sorry your little ones are suffering.

Here's a link with the di-methox

http://www.jefferspet.com/categories/poultry/health-wellness/antibiotics-sulfas-4
    Macrolides such as erythromycin are also thought to be most effective against gram negative bacteria.

http://www.jefferspet.com/products/...84af9fa2600f00000499/533884af9fa2600f0000049c

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  6. chickadee423

May 8, 2014
    I had removed the birds tried my best to help them i took the puss out of the eyes but they died... i cleaned the coop with diluted bleach and put shavings

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Flock Master Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    So sorry about your loss. Coryza can make carriers of your flock if they were exposed to these birds. Fortunately the bacteria only lives on objects in the environment for several days. If you don't have other chickens, I would wait at least a month before getting new birds after cleaning and disinfecting.

8. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by