chicks skittish

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by coachwife2004, Feb 15, 2009.

1. coachwife2004

coachwife2004 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2008
    Texas
    I was wondering how often I should be handling the babies? I try to hold them at leat twice a day but they still seem afraid when my hand goes near them in the cage? Is this just a normal reaction or will they get over it or should I be handling them more? I want them to really enjoy being around us and be friendly for my 3 yr old daughter so any suggestions would be great![​IMG]

2. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    I am pretty sure that once you can start giving them treats they will learn that your hands are nothing to be afraid of. They are all a little skittish as babies, I know mine are. But I hold them ALL the time and it doesn't make much of a difference. [​IMG]

3. Chickenfortress

Chickenfortress Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Put in handfuls of treats. They'll run when you go in, mill about nervously, and then come to see what you have. Once one starts to nibble, they rest will run over for fear of missing out. Egg yolks work wonderfully.

4. flamingauburnmustang

flamingauburnmustang Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    South Africa
    You have not meantioned how old they are. But they will come around sometime. [​IMG]

I bought a chick, maybe a month old, very wild, but now she runs up to me when she sees me.

So don't stress. You'll see.

Good luck. [​IMG]

5. playingchicken

playingchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    I also think it depends on the breed. When I was young, my pet mutt chick was very friendly from the get-go. My hamburgs take MONTHS to come around. They are like down-covered popcorn whenever I come to clean the cage. [​IMG]

6. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    handle them as much as possible.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by