1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks Sleeping

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Master S.M.C, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    Will the constant turning on and off of the brooder lamps affect the way the chicks sleep? I purchased a 1000watt temp controller that regulates a constant temp in the brooder by turning the light on or off, is this fine?

2. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

That's so funny. I thought that too. But they seem to seem to sleep just fine.

3. seymojo536

seymojo536 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2007
    Central Ohio
    It's been my experience that chicks will sleep anytime, anywhere. It always cracks me up to see one walking and then boom, it's stretched flat out sound asleep.
    Depending on the size of the room you have the brooder in, I would think it would be next to impossible to have the heat high enough to kick the light off.
    We just hang the heat lamp so it's 90 degress at the surface of the shavings and leave it on 24/7.

4. Master S.M.C

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    Quote:No, that's not it. The heat shuts off to keep the temperature at a certain level

5. seymojo536

seymojo536 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2007
    Central Ohio
    Is your brooder one of those metal ones that kinda looks like a tent?

6. Master S.M.C

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    no

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by