Chick's slow decline in mobility.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AthamGI, Jan 28, 2011.

1. AthamGI

AthamGI Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2007
    In November, I had a uncommonly late hatch for my flock. My silkie/game mix hatched a single chick of her own, and because of the harsh New England weather conditions, we've kept her inside. The chick grew very healthy; s/he has perky eyes, is alert, and, up until last week, was up and about in the cage.

I came home from a trip with some friends to New York, to find that the chick was walking funny. A few days later, the chick was unable to walk at all. It just lays there with its legs spread out, looking rather confused at its current predicament. The mother is not too interested in him/her anymore, but she doesn't attack the chick, and there are no signs of pecking. I'm getting very frustrated, as this same thing has happened a few times in my flock's history, usually to silky crosses, but not always related to the same family.

Does anyone know what this might be? Is it a physical problem, or a genetic problem?

2. AthamGI

Jan 11, 2007
    Bump.

3. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    I've only heard that more vitamins and better food will help. Sure helped my roo who couldn't walk. But I gave him vitamins in his water and eggs, yogurt daily, then a few days later, one leg greatly improved. I think he managed to hurt the other leg while he couldn't walk and was recovering.

This site might help.
    http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article.html

4. DrinkTheRainbow

DrinkTheRainbow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Altoona, Wisconsin
    What kind of bedding? Does it's feet have the 5 toes or 4? What is the percentage of injured birds?

5. AthamGI

Jan 11, 2007
    S/He has the silkie feet with five toes on both feet. I have him/her in a cage with a grid floor, hay as bedding. I can only think of four in the past six years that have suffered from this condition; all of them were either silkie or of silkie heritage, and only one of them was an adult when the affliction struck him. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by