Chicks sneezing and wheezing for 3 weeks

Smvine

In the Brooder
Nov 17, 2017
I have two 4-5 week old chicks that I've had almost 4 weeks. Since the day after I got them they have been sneezing with on and off bouts of congestion/wheeziness. They're growing, eat and drinking like normal other than the sneezing. The lady I got them from said she had URI infection going around her adult chickens but that these were probably fine because they were inside in a brooder. She said if they did have URI that it would run its course but we're now going on almost 4 weeks of this! I've been using Vet rx, they get vitamins and electrolytes daily and I started to do a round of Tylan 50 but then read some scary posts and decided to stop since they're acting completely normal. What could it be/how do I treat it?

This can be transferred from Hen in the eggs...Its respiratory so will make your Birds carriers...Running heat in cold weather and not introducing new Birds will keep the stress down so they don't show symptoms...Close the flock and not introduce anymore Birds..

I have 3 more 2 month olds outside that these will need to live with. Is there anything I can do to keep more others from being infected?

I have 3 more 2 month olds outside that these will need to live with. Is there anything I can do to keep more others from being infected?

Unfortunately it is so contagious it could be on your cloths, boots, hair, etc so the ones out side have probably been exposed. If you dont want carriers of it, cull the chicks and don't introduce them to the birds outside. I on the other hand am not disturbed by it and I have never had any fatalities from it. It takes time for it to run its course but they will get over it. More birds have it than most people realize.

Because they're acting totally normal I'm not too concerned about it. When I introduce them to the rest of my chickens is there anything you suggest to minimize the symptoms other than the Vet Rx

It sounds like possible mycoplasma (MG.) It can pass through the hatching eggs to chicks, or they may have gotten it from the previous owner since the disease is in her flock. I would use the Tylan 50 injectable, but use it ORALLY. Give 0.2 ml per pound twice a day for 5 days. The meds will help to treat symptoms hopefully, but they will all still be carriers for life, and MG may continue to make them sick whenever they get stressed with the weather or molting. Here is some reading:
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/disea...tion-mg-chronic-respiratory-disease-chickens/
https://extension.umaine.edu/livestock/poultry/mycoplasma-gallisepticum-faq/

Back
Top Bottom