Chicks Sneezing

agurlwithcurls

In the Brooder
Nov 10, 2021
I just purchased some ISA Brown chicks from Rural King a few days ago. They aren’t very old but several if not all seem to be sneezing and shaking their heads a bit. I did not notice this with my hatchery chicks I got back in the spring. I had them in my basement for the first few days but have since moved them into my brooder in my garage. I noticed some sneezing before I moved them out there. Is this something I should be concerned about?

I dont know where Rural King gets their chicks from. You might consider calling and asking them. Most local feed stores including Tractor Supply in our area get chicks from reputable hatcheries. I purchase my chicks from both TSC and feed stores and havnt had any issues.

The sneezing and head shaking with your chicks could be due to feed dust, bedding dust, possibly mold spores or some other environmental issue. Young chicks wouldnt survive a respiratory disease nor the treatments if this were the case. Look for mold inside the feed sack especially at the top of the sack where you open it. Also, if you see any size clumps of feed in the sack, return it to the feed store. It means the feed was once moist or wet and it dried. Not good.

Back
Top Bottom