Chicks Sneezing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Minchi, May 29, 2012.

1. Minchi

Minchi Songster

Apr 21, 2012
    Parker, CO
    My chicks are about 3 to 4 weeks old and I have noticed that they have started sneezing. Not much just every once in a while. Two of them are doing it so far as I can tell also every once in a while they open there beaks or keep them open with no sound???? They eat and drink okay. Can chicks pant like a cat or dog, are they too hot?

2. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Generally if chicks pant and hold their wings out they are too hot. Sneezing could be several things, could be as simple as a lot of dust. Are they outside? on shavings? mixed with older chickens? Still have a heat lamp?

3. Minchi

Minchi Songster

Apr 21, 2012
    Parker, CO
    They are indoors with pine shavings, I think 2 are 2 weeks and one is 3 weeks old (she is much bigger and more developed then the others). I am still using the heat lamp but it is a large cage, they are not sticking out there necks or holding out there wings. They actually sleep rather close to the heat lamp, and next to each other. I know they peck at the dust from the pine shavings, I am still giving them a soft form of there feed (feed and water). I am starting to get them back to hard feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: