Chicks sparring

waibel zoo

Songster
10 Years
Mar 23, 2009
Sandy, UT
I have a pair of chicks who run up to each other, jump and claw at eachother. It is not all the time and noone is getting hurt. It is always the same two chicks. Is this an indication of gender? They are about 2-3 weeks old. Both bantams. One is a blue cochin and the other a barred cochin.

It's normal. They are doing the belly/chest bump. They are establishing their pecking order.

It's not a reliable sign of gender. Little pullets fight for their place in the pecking order too.

Hi,

No, that doesn't indicate gender. Before I was more familiar with chickens, I got two BO pullets that did the same thing. I thought for sure that they were both roos, but lo and behold, I wound up with two gorgeous laying hens!

And now I have 7 new chicks that are also doing what I call their "little fighting dance" and they're all supposed to be pullets. I'm not going to worry about it this time, what will be, will be! It looks so cute when they hop around like that, anyway!

So good luck with your chicks!
smile.png
Genie

I have to roo Welsummers and a leghorn 2 weeks old Sparring, I know for sure the welsummers are roos, was hoping they were the only 2 in the flock,
bow.gif

Back
Top Bottom