CHicks spooked, won't leave coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Audraleo, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Audraleo

Audraleo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2012
    California
    Long story short- I have 6 10 week old chicks that free range my backyard while I work. When I got home yesterday, 2:30pm, I found 3 hiding in the coop and couldn't find the other 3. My yard is pretty small so I started to panic. Finally the other 3 were found hiding really well in some bushes. When they wandered out, they were so freaked out. Since then all 6 won't leave the coop and run. I'm thinking one of two things happened: I am behind commercial and right now they are doing a lot of hammering/work or yesterday sometime my brother in law popped over and was in the backyard using the hose and scared them. I spoke to him and he said when he came by he didn't even see the chicks.

So today I got them to come out with their favorite treat- raisins- they ate them and ran back to the coop. I can't get them to come out and stay out. Is this something that I should be worried about or will it pass. I've looked them all over and they all seem fine so I'm just not sure whats going on. We have alot of squirrels and crows and they don't seem to bother eachother. I don't really see any predators around ever.
    Thanks so much!!

worried momma
    Audra

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    To me their behavior indicates probable attack by a predator. My gut instinct says that a hawk attempted to catch them. If possible keep them confined to the coop and only free range when you are there for a while. Good luck at protecting them. Noise or water from a hose is unlikely to elicit such behavior.

3. Audraleo

Audraleo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2012
    California
    You may be right. I was keeping them in the run during work hours but I felt bad for lack of space, but I am going to start keeping them in the run again until I get home.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Good decision. Better safe rather than sorry until you can figure out what is going on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by