Chicks starting their second week

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by achake01, May 25, 2010.

1. achake01

achake01 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2010
    Hi all--My 13 guys are doing pretty great. I was wondering if there's anything I can do to spice up their little lives a bit. When starting week two, can I give them treats to eat besides their chick starter feed (which they like plenty fine, by the way!). I tried feeding them bits of a berry out of my hand last night, but they didnt go for it. Maybe they're skittish. I then tried placing the berry bits on a piece of paper in their brooder, and they just looked at me quizzically. Could I try maybe bringing in a little clump of grass for them to munch on?
    Any thoughts on grooving up the joint--short of a disco ball--would be great. Sorry for the dopey questions from a first-timer.
    Thanks!
    Anne Marie

2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I have chicks being raised by hens this year, and what I notice is that they won't try anything until the hen pecks at it herself and lets them know it's ok. You could try "pecking" at the fruit with your own finger to show them that this is something to eat.

I raised chicks artificially last spring and noticed the same thing you describe when I offered them their first strawberry. They ran away from it like it was The Fruit Salad Of Death or something.

This year, I offered a strawberry to each of our three hens with their chicks. One of the hens didn't touch it, so neither did her chicks. The other two hens pecked at their strawberries so their chicks piled on. Interesting, eh?

3. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    Before you feed them treats, get some chick grit (this is the fine grit not the regular chicken grit). They will need this in their gizzards in order to grind up hard seeds and other larger pieces of "food" that aren't easily broken down by the small amount of moisture they have in their crop.

4. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    Quote:[​IMG] The Fruit Salad of Death.

Thanks for asking this question achake, I have been wondering the same thing myself. My chicks have to be getting pretty bored cooped up in their makeshift brooder!

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Mealworms are very popular. Throw one in and see which chick will be brave enough to grab it. Then watch as that one has to run while being chased by the others. It's chick rugby!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by