chicks starting to grow wing feathers,, how old are they???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dufus, Jul 14, 2011.

1. dufus

dufus Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2011
    my hen had some yard chicks hatched out, that i found for the first time saturday afternoon, running around the yard. today, i noticed some of the chicks have about 1/2'' feathers starting to grow on the end of their wings,, makes me wonder how old they might be????? i'm trying to decide when they hatched... thanks in advance.

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    about 7 days old

3. wyomingleghorn

wyomingleghorn Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2011
    my leghorns started wing feathers at 3 days

4. KaitlynChick55

KaitlynChick55 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    Calumet, UP of MI
    My chicks are 4 days old, and they started getting tiny wing feathers at 3 days [​IMG]

5. erinangele

erinangele Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    My 4 chicks arrived from MPC with a few wing feathers coming in. They said they hatch either Monday or Tues. so they had to only be 1 or 2 days old. Today my Americana has 1/4 inch wing feathers!

6. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

i've seen chicks straight from the egg with wing feathers... so it really depends on the bloodlines

7. chickmchickie

chickmchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Ely Mn
    Mine were hatched on july 9th i got them on july 11 and some had the beginning of wing feathers and today almost the whole wing is done and they are 6 days old now.. I have black aus.. black star.. RIR and new hamp.. if that helps

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    My guess would be about a week old.

9. StrayMagnet

StrayMagnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    W. Georgia
    yes our Chicks will be 1 week late today. and our Runt will be 1 week old monday. and you can see the diffrence big time. The 10 who hatched Friday have half their wing with feathers. the lone hatcher has just tips of his wings with feathers.

so if half their wing is with feathers. they are proly same age as mine and 1 week.

I can get pics and show u to compare if yo'd like or search my name I have soem pics of our chicks I took yesterday and you should be able to see their wings

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by