1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks stay indoors all the time

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tracyree, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Tracyree

Tracyree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    I moved my chicks out to the coop over two weeks ago. There is an indoor area and a attached pen. I thought they were just scared at first, that they'd get used to it and start goigpng outside more often eventually. Nope. They stay inside all the time. The food is outside, as well as the water. I shoo them out and they eat and drink like they are starving, then go right back in.

I've had chickens in this coop in the past and never had any issues. My only concern is that it's hotter inside the coop than outdoors and it's been in the 90's this week.

Is it normal for them to take so long adjusting?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    That doesn't sound like normal chicken behavior to me. Normally they'd get over their fear of the big, bad world and love being outside. Can you lock them out of the coop for awhile, so they are forced to explore?

3. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    You may want to try treats to entice them out gradually. This worked on my first flock after 6 weeks inside the coop. They were very reluctant to leave, mainly sunning at the door and staring out into the run. I used scratch and BOSS for about a week, then they became bolder and finally loved being out!

4. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Where you from Tracey?

Now it may take them some time to move out. You might want to sit out there with them for a few days til they feel secure. Make sure they can see all the way around. If it's hot that may be a problem. Chickens don't do well with the heat. They like to be cool and shaded.

They'll come around.

Rancher

5. Tracyree

May 6, 2011
    I'm in middle tennessee. Here's a picture of the coop they are in. The penned area is on decking, just like the interior. It's covered with about 3-4 inches of pine shavings, again, just like the interior. It's shaded most of the day.

[​IMG]

We're going to have a run built, so the can get right into the dirt. I have a huge pan of dirt in their pen now, along with a few roosts for perching on. If only they'd go out there!

6. ginger c.

ginger c. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Alabama
    Are you sure that decking isn't getting too hot for them? If it's catching sun and heating up, it may be hotter down there than you'd notice... unless you walked it barefoot. [​IMG]

We're in Alabama and it's been in the 90's here for the last 6 weeks or so. Sometimes our coop actually feels better inside than out because the and draught.

GC's DH

7. Tracyree

May 6, 2011
    There are pone shavings on the decking, so it's not that the floor is hot.

Honestly I think the ventilation is lacking, so am surprised they choose to stay in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by