chicks still dying :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rocking chicks, Feb 10, 2013.

1. rocking chicks

rocking chicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2013
    Got 78 chicks 2/6/13 over 50% dead getting replacements from hatchery on shipped dead ones. But the surviving chicks are still dying 2 a day. By now they should be okay. All look fine running around then in morning 2 more gone. Now down to 25. New brooder, 2 heat lamps, (right amount of heat that they are not under lamps nor around sides of brooder), straw bedding, 2 waterers,(cleaned before use with bleach & rinsed), 2 feeders,(made from new buckets) feeding them organic soy free chick food - gave them chick saver in one water and apple cider vinegar in other. They are eating & drinking. Don't know what to do. I have had thousands of chickens in the past & never came across this!
    Any and all help will be appreciated greatly!!!

2. DraigAthar

DraigAthar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield, NH
  3. rocking chicks

Jan 28, 2013
    There in lies the problem. They zoom around or peck at box walls looking normal & healthy, eating, drinking, looking fine then 2 or more die. I'm baffled. I suppose the stress of shipping and having so many die in transit should be over now that they are warm & fed. I can't figure it out so I am going to get some medicated chick starter today in hopes that it will help. I rather have live chicks then organic fed dead chicks.

4. rocking chicks

Jan 28, 2013
    Went in brooder cleaned out straw and put wood chips, started medicated feed, cleaned waterer and put ACV in water. Moved to different spot in brooder - found 7 with pasty butt & cleaned them up and lost 2 more. For 3 days now everyone is fine. Replacements coming this week. I'm total wreck worrying about a repeat of the first batch's shipping experience. Will update when they arrive.

5. brojrm

brojrm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2013
    Zachary La.
    Hope it all works out for you. We had a similar experience a couple week ago lost 30% . I have been refunded from the hatchery. I have decided to start hatching my own as I think food and water given sooner than 3 days may help out alot. I start my new chicks on chick starter and mealworms for extra protein seems to be working well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by