1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks still jumpy

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicken pippy, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Chicken pippy

Chicken pippy New Egg

Feb 21, 2016
    Hello all. I'm new to the whole chicken world. I bought 18 chicks from my local farm supply store. 17 have survived and are growing wonderfully. However, everytime in try to handle them, they freak out and run. I visit them for about 3 times a day at least. Any tips to help them like me?

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

I've found just sitting out with them really helps. Having a chat with the really helps to get them used to you too. How old are your chicks? A few treats can help you, have them on your hand and let the chicks come to you. Because they are so nosey they generally come and investigate.
    If your chicks are still in the brooder I find that just putting my hands in Palm up attracts them in ~

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With time and perseverance they should tame up well. Good luck with them and enjoy BYC :frow

3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] glad you have joined us and congrats on getting your own flock.

Sorry about the loss, and hope the rest continue to do well.

Likely you are reaching down from above to try to touch or pick them up? They have a natural fear of things from above. Mine were like that when in the brooder, but once they were in their coop/run would come to me, especially if I got down to their level with treats in hand.

You should consider posting an intro under New Members forum to get a proper welcoming.

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    The cardinal sin of brooding chicks, is handling them from above. It's as if they're experiencing a hawk attack to have disembodied hands thrust at them from the confining walls of their brooder.

I have two Wynadottes still from the first brood of chicks seven years ago where I blew it by diving at them from above. These hens are still afraid to have me handle them. It was quite by accident I discovered what I was doing wrong when I was a brand new member of BYC and I stumbled onto a thread where everyone was complaining of their chicks being afraid. That's when the light-bulb went on.

The next brooder I made, I placed a cardboard box up on a table, cut an access into the side and only handled the chicks from the side from then on. Ever since, my chickens raised that way have been friendly and unafraid of being handled.

Now I brood right outside in a roomy pen in my run. The chicks get to see all of me and they know I'm not a hawk. it's easy and fun to handle them, and they're such friendly adults, it's almost disgusting.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  5. mamahmendez

mamahmendez Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2016
    SW Austin, TX
    WOW! I didn't even think about the handling from above. I too have been making this mistake. Thanks for the tip and we will make sure to get them in a more social environment when they are a little stronger.
    Thanks!

6. ChickityChina

ChickityChina Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Good thread - I didn't think about this aspect of handling. I too want to make sure my hens are super social, as I have young children who LOVE animals. These are great tips - thanks for sharing and for the question!

7. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    As azygous says it makes for great lap chickens and even pirate parrots. My son really enjoys his chicken friends ~

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    My second step brooder is fairly large 5x5' with 3' tall walls of cardboard. I cut basically the top half of a dutch door into one of the sides and when I visit, I open it and sit on a bucket outside the brooder. I keep up a fairly constant calm chatter while watching my chicken TV to get them used to my voice.

When I first started giving them treats, I would reach down and scatter them in the bedding near the door...and they would run away until one of the bolder ones (the Dominiques, usually) took a chance and then the rest of them came running in. Eventually, they would be impatient about getting the treats and run over while my hand was still in the brooder. Then they would start eating out of my hand. Now we're at a point where I can put an empty hand down and whomever comes to inestigate gets scooped up, desposited on my lap, and hand-fed treats while I...um...feel them up...to get them used to being picked up and handled.

It is ever so much easier to train a food-motivated animal than one who doesn't think with their stomachs!

9. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Thanks for sharing your pics....absolutely awesome!

10. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Great photos, thanks for post. I haven't "sat down" with my hens in over a year, but next pretty day will have to do that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by