Chicks stressed being outside???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DebB11, Apr 7, 2011.

1. DebB11

DebB11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    We have had our chicks almost 3 weeks..... took them outside today in their brooder box with screen over the top. They were loving it at first and then I had a couple of them acting like maybe they were stressed? The 2 were holding their wings out a bit , mouth open...maybe panting??? It is only about 70 right now outside and they were in the shaded part of the box. It is a plastic tub so maybe not enough ventilation and they were overheated from being in the sun some?

What do you think? I brought them inside and they seem fine now....

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Hard to say, but what you report are symptoms of getting too heated.

Perhaps the tub was absorbing sun rays and getting the interior too warm. Hard to say. Next time you might try just taking a couple out for a few minutes of "play" on the grass. A little rotated recess. Only if they have finished all their classwork first. [​IMG]

3. HeyItsDebV

HeyItsDebV Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2011
    Edmond, OK
    At two weeks I took the chicks out in my carry box and I set each under the tree with me...they loved it, but stayed close to me...I started doing a little more each day, staying out longer each time...I put them in my flower beds and in my yard...they loved it...at 3 weeks I used an old chain link fence covered and surrounded in chick netting... I always stayed close by and I only left them out an hour, while I cleaned their stock tank brooder...when weather permitted...
    This week, as the Chicks are 1 month old, I have added a make- shift roost to the dog kennel just inches off the ground and terra cotta flower pots as hiding spots ... now the chicks squawk when I go to get them... I have been waiting until almost dark, bringing them in to a clean brooder with clean water and feeding pans... [​IMG]...the chicks eat, drink and PASS OUT! [​IMG]
    As of noon today, the chicks are peeping to go out! As the sun finally comes out...i think they can! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by