Chicks stretching...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Javamama, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Javamama

Javamama Songster

Jun 6, 2008
    USA
    This has to the cutest thing they do IMO. When they stretch out their neck and one leg. DH said it looks like they are posing for the Heisman (football trophy for those who are not football fans GO BUCKS!) So if the one I am suspicious about turns out to be a rooster, I'm going to name him Eddie - as in Eddie George, my favorite. I just wish I could keep it.

2. mmajw

mmajw Songster

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    I love it when they do that. Hope you can keep your Roo they are fabulous

3. Like This?

It's a riot...

[​IMG]

4. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground

Mine seem to stretch a whole side at once, from the neck to the leg and that wing - it goes back and covers the tail. Very cute!

5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Even better is when they stretch like this as very young chicks... and fall over! My boyfriend laughed his head off any time he saw an awkward chick fall over.
    [​IMG]

6. cyanne

cyanne Songster

May 19, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Ours seem to have two different stretches. There's the neck combined with single wing and leg, and then there's the one that we call the 'duck butt' stretch.

They lift both wings, lean back a little with their neck stretched straight out in front, and wiggle their butts back and forth all deliberate and slow.

TOO DARN CUTE!!! [​IMG]

7. When I raised cockatiels, I read that the "Heisman" stretch meant the bird was physically comfortable. Coop-a-Kick used to call them "physical comfort birds". [​IMG]

It is really cute when they fall over!

8. gadzooke

gadzooke In the Brooder

Jun 9, 2008
    Devore
    One of my Barred Rocks did this and toppled over into her water dish. She had the most surprised look on her face. I almost busted a gut laughing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: