Chicks stuck in shell

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by simplestupid, Jun 22, 2016.

1. simplestupid

simplestupid Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2015
    Please help I have two chicks stuck in their shells for three days now and still alive. They have started to zip but didn't make it all the way around. Can I warm up some water to 99.5 degrees and spray the shells and try finishing the zip for them. I know that your not suppose to help but I have 22 other chicks that have hatched after these two started to pip and zip. Can anyone please let me know or suggest any to do and not to do's.
    Thanks Scott Williams

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Yes, go ahead and finish zipping for them. Just carefully remove the shell along they path they would have taken and stop if you see blood, but at three days stuck and having started to zip I don't think you'll have a problem. They are likely shrinkwrapped and unable to progress on their own.

3. simplestupid

Jun 25, 2015
    Thank you very much I will do that and post results.

4. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Let me know how it goes :fl

5. simplestupid

Jun 25, 2015
    I've got the shell off but as you said it's srink wrapped. Should I go ahead and spray it to soften the membrane.

6. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

I wouldn't spray it, but the warm water will be good to loosen the membrane. Gently rub with a wet q-tip and the membrane should soften and come off. Do you have any pictures of the situation?

7. simplestupid

Jun 25, 2015
    I don't have any pics but I sprayed them before I got your reply. they are both out of the shell and I've got the membrane off. I have them in the incubator with humidity at 45% it's in gods hands now. Thank you so much I'll name one after you.

8. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I'm glad that you were able to save them! And thank you, that's awesome :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by