Chicks stumbling

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lazy gardener, May 29, 2016.

1. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Yesterday afternoon, I let the babies out. Was horrified to see one, and then upon closer inspection several more of them stumbling around. Appeared to be weak and have poor balance. Most noticeable in proximal leg muscles. So, my poor brain started scrambling... difficult hatch with several assists, poor bator temp regulation. Almost half of the chicks were from shipped eggs. Chicks are 6 weeks old. They've been feasting on Creeping Charlie, which no other animal that I know of will eat. Last week, I was talking with a fellow at the hardware store re: chickens and such, and my plan to dry Creeping Charlie for nest boxes as it seems that nothing will eat it. He says even his goats won't touch it... but my chicks seem to love the stuff. Neuro toxin? Mareks? Then, I remembered how miserable I was with temp up to 89*. I came in, did a quick google for: home made gator aid. 5 minutes later, I had a qt. of strawberry gator ade, Both babies and adults seemed to enjoy it, and drank quite a bit. The chicks were moving much better within 1/2 hour. Today, they seem to be just fine.

Recipe that I adapted: 1/2 C hot H2O, scant 1/2 tsp salt, scant 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp flavored jello. Mix well and add 3 1/2 C cold H2O.
    Edit: I left out one very important ingredient. Be sure to add 2 1/2 TBSP sugar!!!

Last edited: May 31, 2016
    2 people like this.
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    So do you think it was heat stroke? Wow, glad you got them feeling better.

3. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Creeping Charlie is safe to eat, even for humans, so it definitely wasn't pigging out on the plant that made your chickens act sick. I am certain you saved your chickens' lives with your quick thinking and action.

I'm making a note of that recipe.

1 person likes this.
  4. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Good to know about the creeping charlie. Thanks for that info. Don't think I'd want to eat it, though... I think it'd make a funky tea!!!!
    Yes, I think their electrolytes were out of wack because it was so hot, and they have not adjusted to hot weather yet.

5. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I'm not sure I would have thought that fast, but hopefully I will remember this down the road. We thankfully don't get that hot too often.

6. mimsy

mimsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    A thing safe for one creature is not always safe for all though. Creeping charlie is toxic in large doses. Usually you only see that in horses because it may of been a lot in their hay or it's a weird horse that doesn't mind a bitter taste and ate a lot. Not sure how much a chicken would have to eat though, I would think it's an awful lot and if they are still alive i'd say it wasn't a toxic amount eaten and even if they are ill from it they should survive.

I think it was the heat though. Glad they are all doing better.

7. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I went a googling. I found many lists of plants poisonous to poultry, and creeping charlie was on only one of them. http://www.urbanchickenpodcast.com/ucp-resources-001-list-of-plants-toxic-to-chickens/

I ended up back here on BYC and the comprehensive list this poster shared with us doesn't have creeping charlie, either. I will need to edit my post to provide the link.

Here it is: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/627282/comprehensive-list-of-poisonous-plants-and-trees

So, I'm going with heat sickness as the probably cause for lazy's chicks' stumbling behavior.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  8. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Has to have been the heat. They're just fine since then. However: CORRECTION: I FORGOT TO ADD THE SUGAR WHEN I COPIED DOWN THE RECIPE. IN ADDITION TO THE FLAVORED JELLO, THERE IS 2 1/2 TABLESPOONS OF SUGAR. VERY IMPORTANT, AND I HOPE NO ONE USED THIS RECIPE WITHOUT THE EXTRA SUGAR!!!

I do hope no one made a batch of it following my original posting. Don't forget the sugar!!!

9. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I've been thinking about your chicks, and I'm relieved to know they're just fine after such a close call.

I was convinced it was the heat when they responded to the electrolyte solution. If they had been suffering from ingesting a neuro toxin, they would not have recovered since there was nothing in the electrolyte solution to neutralize it.

I was also wondering if the "universal antidote" would work on chicks. Milk of magnesia, black tea, burnt toast (activated charcoal). It saved my life a long time ago when I was poisoned. I supposed the chicken that was poisoned would need to be tube fed the concoction in order to get it into them.

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    LG, I saw your other post about this, and am also making note. It's sure turned warm fast here, and I know I'm not dealing with the sudden change so well. Chickadees might not be, either. Thanks for the head's up!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by