Chicks suddenly going downhill...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SlipsWife, Mar 6, 2014.

1. SlipsWife

SlipsWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    Odessa, Texas
    We received 47 chicks from Cackle yesterday, all different breeds. We lost one red chick yesterday. The group as a whole seemed to be doing great so I didn't notice it wasn't feeling good until it was past the point of being able to really do anything. I didn't add anything to their water yesterday because no one looked like that needed it.

Now to today, we have 4 that are suddenly acting like they are going to die. A polish started acting weak this morning, hasn't ate or drank, we finally got it to take a couple of drinks and its perked up a little. Another one is also a polish, and its pretty much on its side, won't take water. The other 2 are just kind of sitting there, not moving with the group but did drink when we dipped them.

I just added electrolytes and probiotics to their water in hopes of helping any of the others that might be sick. The only difference with this group is we temporarily switch from the feed we normally feed but it was still a starter feed, just a different brand. We have them back on our other feed now, the week old chicks haven't shown any signs of problems so I really don't think its the feed.

Symptoms: weak, won't open eyes, won't move with group, not eating/drinking, for the most part just standing there, towards the end the first one turned its neck in a funny position

What else can we do? Other than a few losses during shipment and one from that same order, we haven't lost any this year.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  2. TTracy

TTracy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Western Michigan
  3. SlipsWife

Mar 10, 2013
    Odessa, Texas
    Thank you, I was just looking for wry neck information. I also forgot to add that the 2nd polish to start acting sick was chirping crazy loud for most of the day yesterday, to the point where I know something had to be wrong but it wasn't showing any symptoms of anything.

4. SlipsWife

Mar 10, 2013
    Odessa, Texas
    I don't think its wry neck. My chicks don't even try to look around, they just stand in one place and even when gently nudge don't try to move.

5. TTracy

TTracy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Western Michigan
    Have they perked up at all with the added pedilyte and probiotics?

6. SlipsWife

Mar 10, 2013
    Odessa, Texas
    The Polish that was laying on its side is at least standing up. There are a few other chicks looking weak too, a couple of silkies.

Now I'm wishing I hadn't thrown the bag the feed was in away, I don't remember the name of it but I'm really starting to think it might have been lacking something. I know at first I didn't think it was but there's just no other reason I can think of.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  7. Viva-Lena

Viva-Lena Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2014
    Did u figure out what was wrong. I just had one die acting like u described and now another going downhill....

8. SlipsWife

Mar 10, 2013
    Odessa, Texas
    We ended up losing the 4 that were really bad.

I'm not sure in the end if what I did helped save others or not but I think it did. I added electrolytes and probiotics to their water for 24hrs. I also changed their feed back to the feed we usually use. I personally still think its the feed we had bought but the feed store says its suppose to be good feed. I think the extras in their water helped keep the others that were looking weak from getting to bad and being able to eat our usual feed.

I've never had this many losses like this. Our first order this year had a number of losses but it was a small order of chicks, 10 bantams/7 packing peanuts, from Ideal and it was extremely cold when they shipped out and I know our losses were from the weather and the fact they were bantams since we only lost 1 of the packing peanut roosters.

I would suggest trying the electrolytes and probiotics if you aren't already, oh and make sure the water is warm. Other than that, I'm really not sure.

9. Viva-Lena

Jan 26, 2014
    Well I'm glad you got whatever it was under control. I'm a very nervous first timer and have lost 2 in 3 days out of 37.... Not sure as to why. One just fell over and wouldn't open it's eyes and died within a few hours. The other did these things but slower. It was able to run around crying but it's eyes won't open. One eye is actually half the size of the other and seems to have not ever opened or formed? Is that possible? Sad it seemed so healthy apart from the eyes (which lead to not eating or drinking and a lot of stress )

10. Viva-Lena

Jan 26, 2014
    I should mention shipping temps were in the mid -20c's :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by