Chicks switching moms?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JHillgrove, Sep 26, 2011.

1. JHillgrove

JHillgrove Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    I have two clutches of chicks right now in the chicken coop. A Barred Rock with 3 chicks and a Domonique with 7 chicks. I went to check on them and the Dom. only had 4. I was so worried. I looked all over before finally looking under the BR and there they were. Did they switch moms? Or are they confused because their moms look alike? Or are the mothers helping eachother out?

Is this normal?

I am worried the mothers will notice they have each others chicks and start fighting.
    What do you think?

2. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    It'll be fine, don't worry about it.

3. goofy98

goofy98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2011
    Prineville
    lol I had that happen to me ones but the mom was a BR and she had I think 8 or 9 and 4 wint missing and looked out in the pen and found my other chicken with them she didint even have any chicks of her own and she was mothering them so I gess she adopted them and she raised them but it was so wierd. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  4. JHillgrove

Aug 2, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    Quote:Thats cute! Thanks. I guess I wont worry.

5. spowell

spowell Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    Rocky Point, NC
    I have one hen that has been on 6 eggs, when she gets up to eat/poop, another hen goes and sits on her eggs. They have been swapping eggs for about 2 weeks now [​IMG] Well the eggs started hatching two days ago and both are sitting the remaining eggs and sharing the babies. they have the tag team approach. [​IMG] You gotta love Silkies!!!

6. jenanneray

jenanneray Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Franklinton, NC
    I have 2 hens that are currently sharing chicks. One hatched them out, the other I gave chicks because she was terrible about sitting on a nest. They have been sharing chicks peacefully since day one, and doing great. The babies are about 3weeks old now.

7. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I also have "Broody Buddies". Mama, my Silkie, and Aunt Lou, my banty cochin. The names are very fitting because all Aunt Lou does is keep Mama company. Mama steals eggs and chicks from Aunt Lout, probably because she's not so goood at it, but she's a great auntie. She doesn't care if Mama has all the eggs or chicks, she still thinks she's doing somethiing and loves being with Mama.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/59865_2011-08-17_17-24-06_687.jpg

8. JHillgrove

Aug 2, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    Quote:[​IMG] Thats so sweet! Thanks for sharing.

9. rhino533

rhino533 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Thailand
    My 2 Japanese Bantam Hens have been sharing the nest every since they started laying eggs. When one goes broody the other will go broody right away and they sit on the nest together. They both squeeze in and do a great job taking care of the chicks. They just hatched a bunch of eggs today. Both are splitting the parenting job.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  10. JHillgrove

Aug 2, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    Quote:[​IMG] I just love these sweet stories.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by