Chicks taken by snake. What to do with Momma?

Barred Rocker

cracked egg
10 Years
Jul 15, 2009
King and Queen Co, Va
My bantam buff brahma hen just hatched 2 chicks yesterday. I moved them to a broody pen but the next day then the following day I found a snake outside the pen and both chicks were gone. Momma hen stays on the nest in spite of the chicks being gone. What's the best course of action. Give her more eggs to hatch? ( that would mean setting an additional 3 weeks, if she even does it) Put her back in with the other adults and let her come out of broodiness? Or leave her by herself? I went ahead and put her back on the nest with some eggs but I have no idea if she will stay on them another 3 weeks or if it's healthy for her to do so. Any advice?

aww thats too bad ! can you find some other baby chickens from other breeders or feed store? Is she still sitting on her eggs? let her go for it. wont hurt her, I have a broody hen sitting now for over 35 days ! I keep stealing her eggs (other hens lay in the same nest) I already have too many chickies ! Make sure she has food and water , she will be ok if she didnt eat or drink. Good luck, By the way what kind of snake ? I hope you got rid of it !

First, build a snake proof cage a hen can safely raise her babies. Have lost many babies to stinking snakes. Use the small size hardware cloth. A medium or large animal carrier also is good. Tractor supply has some that are a little less expensive. If u leave her another 3 weeks on eggs make sure she eats daily. Have had hens sit 2mths doing this. Can also buy a couple of baby chicks, same color as ones she hatched, and put them under her at night. Leave a couple of eggs under her also. If she takes the babies,remove the eggs. This works on some hens n not others. Had a sweet Banty mix that took everything I have her. Good luck

Common black snake. Usually I leave them alone because they'll eat the poisoness ones. But this one was shot on sight. I won't tolerate anything preying on my birds. Momma is back on eggs. Hopefully she'll have better luck this time around.

My bantam buff brahma hen just hatched 2 chicks yesterday. I moved them to a broody pen but the next day then the following day I found a snake outside the pen and both chicks were gone. Momma hen stays on the nest in spite of the chicks being gone. What's the best course of action. Give her more eggs to hatch? ( that would mean setting an additional 3 weeks, if she even does it) Put her back in with the other adults and let her come out of broodiness? Or leave her by herself? I went ahead and put her back on the nest with some eggs but I have no idea if she will stay on them another 3 weeks or if it's healthy for her to do so. Any advice?
Another 3 weeks is too long for her to be sitting not healthy,either get chicks or break her of her broodiness.

Another 3 weeks is too long for her to be sitting not healthy,either get chicks or break her of her broodiness.
she is crazy hen, I have put her outside and she will go right back to her nest , theres no eggs. she is fine, her brains not !
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom