1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicks taking a long time to hatch

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by vboro farm girl, Nov 7, 2015.

1. vboro farm girl

vboro farm girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2015
    Vanceboro NC
    So my chicks started pipping Wednesday and I only have three that have hatched there are 6 others that are trying but just cant seem to get out of the shell should I do something different or to help them

2. vboro farm girl

Jun 18, 2015
    Vanceboro NC
    [​IMG]

3. Sonya9

Sonya9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2014
    Jones County, Georgia
    Are these standard size chickens? If so how many days along are they incubation wise?

Did the last eggs pip and how long ago?

4. vboro farm girl

Jun 18, 2015
    Vanceboro NC
    Yes standard eggs they were 21 days on wednesday last week so 25 days incubating they pipped wednesday evening and are trying to come out of the shell but its stuck to their skin

5. Sonya9

Feb 7, 2014
    Jones County, Georgia
    I would help them now, if it has been 23 days and they pipped Wednesday they are likely stuck in the membrane and they have been stuck for a long time.

Personally I would get a small pair of tweezers (like eyebrow tweezers) and sanitize them with a bit of alcohol. Then get a soft towel and some qtips and a dish of water. If you have a lamp or some heat source to work under that is good but probably not necessarily as long as you don't take forever.

When I did this before I used the tweezers and chipped away tiny bits of shell (keep the tweezers between the membrane and the shell if you can) just the way the chick would, to unzip around the wide end of the egg. The membrain should be dry, like that of a hardboiled egg. Unzip and the chick may push out on it's own, if it doesn't use the qtips and a bit of water to unstick the membrane.

Don't let the little guy get too cold!

At this stage you shouldn't see even a HINT of blood, the membrane should be dry, but FYI if you ever assist hatch and see even a speck of blood in the membrane stop ASAP or you will kill the chick.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  6. vboro farm girl

Jun 18, 2015
    Vanceboro NC
    Thank you I helped one out but the others it was too long they weren't moving or breathing anymore I should have helped a long time ago dang it poor babies they were counting on me and I failed them

7. vboro farm girl

Jun 18, 2015
    Vanceboro NC
    There was another one tho I cracked a little shell it started bleeding so I stopped

8. Sonya9

Feb 7, 2014
    Jones County, Georgia
    If the eggs are on schedule and the others hatch a lot of folks will assist after the last eggs have pipped for 24 hours.

9. vboro farm girl

Jun 18, 2015
    Vanceboro NC
    I'll know for next time thanks for your help and advise... what about the one thats bleeding what should I do I saw the heart beating so I know its still alive

10. Sonya9

Feb 7, 2014
    Jones County, Georgia
    It is also a standard chicken egg? Not sure how the membrane can be bleeding if it is 23 days along. Are you sure you have the days right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by