Chicks territorial or just crowded?

SplashyDashyChicksHatchi

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2018
The 4 chicks that my family owns include 2 very young (1-1.5 weeks) and 2 older chicks(2-4?). The older chicks have almost all of their feathers but are still very small. I have been noticing the two 'fighting' with each other on occasions. This would include running up to the other bird with their breast out and head back. The smaller of the two older chicks is usually the one that does this. Then the older one would stick their head out and advance, the smaller retreating and all going back to normal.
For the sake of convenience, let's call them Goldie(smaller) and Blackie(Larger).
The pair will sleep, eat, and drink side by side. I have not noticed any pecking or scratching so I was wondering if this is being territorial? They have a waterer and feeder which are in the form of the upturned-bottle feeders. They will both flap up on top of these(so I have made a small perch to prevent tipping of the bottles). If one is down and the other is up, the one that is down will look at the one that is up. What usually ensues in the 'up' one flying down and landing on top of the 'down' one, followed by a large, panic-inducing squawk.
I am worried that they are being territorial but my mother thinks that they are crowded. If so, what can I do to prevent possible injury? Goldie and Blackie stay separate from the two younger chicks since they are too little and may be squashed or injured. The older chicks stay in a rabbit cage covered by a blanket, while the younger stay in a storage bin without the lid on(since we don't have fancy brooders).
Our Tractor Supply has a minimum of 4 so getting another to keep Blackie company(while putting Goldie, who is smaller, along with the younger chicks) is not an option. Blackie is still too little to go out in the cold with the 4 (5-7? week) other chicks because she does not have all of her feathers and is too little. If we put a see-through divider in the cage, the chicks could fly out(older).
Does anybody have any suggestions or ideas to help? Thanks!

Do the two age groups see one another? Are there adult chickens they will need to interact with when they do move to the coop? What are your daytime and nighttime temps? And what is the exact dimensions of your brooders?

From the sound of it, I can tell you right off that space is likely causing the behavior you're concerned about. Chicks may be small, but after age two weeks, they are able to do amazing things with those tiny wings and they need space in which to do them.

Your two groups could use exposure to one another through a screened partition at first, and then gradually merging them. It's much easier the younger they are. You will have much more chance of conflict the longer you wait to integrate them.

If your climate is not moderate, (60s F daytime, 40s-50s nighttime) that would allow day trips outdoors, then I suggest you get two large cardboard appliance boxes and tape them together. Cut a nice large pass-through into the common wall and cover with screen mesh. This will allow the chicks to observe one another, and after a few days, you can try letting them mingle. With enough space, there's a good possibility the two groups can get along with no issues.

Chicks two weeks and older can handle short day trips outdoors if they're protected from chill winds and wetness and the temps are mild.

The age groups don't see each other, the bin the young chickens are in is a generic attic storage bin with high 'walls'. We are most likely going to buy a separate coop for the 4 new chicks so ill assemble a cardboard box like you described so they can at least see each other. We live in Florida so day temps are warm but we can't hook up a heat lamp if they get too cold. The older chicks are in a rabbit cage about 2.5ft by 1.5 ft. Young chicks are in a bin about 2ft by 3ft. I'll have to ask my mother but I'm sure we could bring them outside and let them mingle(supervised to prevent injuries or bullying). My real concern was that Blackie would squash one of the youngest chicks - my parents think we lost our baby EE that way(they were together when we got them). Anyway, thank you for your great information - the cardboard box sounds interesting! I'll be sure to make myself one of those. Happy travels! :frow

I'd say it's both lack of space and maybe some territoriality....
.....and chicks like to spar, 'play fighting' is pretty normal.

*UPDATE* We have moved 'Goldie' and 'Blackie' out with the oldest chicks since they have almost all their feathers and have a tendency to sleep together(so they don't get cold) anyway. They still seem to fight, however, what typically happens every day with those two is they will stay in a corner together, with the other chicks doing chicken things. Often one will peck at the other or flap their wings causing the other to freak out and chase the first around a bit. Then they go back to a corner. On one occasion, 'Blackie' was stared down by our Plymouth rock chick. Then(after an immense amount of chest-puffing on both sides) he looked away and walked off. 'Goldie' actually has a very pronounced pink comb that normally wouldn't be visible at their age. Is there a possibility of them being roos?

Here is 'Blackie' and 'Goldie' though they moved around a lot and it was hard to get a good photo and it had started raining so I can go and take some better ones later.
20180423_153531.jpg
20180423_153540.jpg
20180423_153540.jpg

Back
Top Bottom