Chicks that don't/won't open their eyes.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Freebird, May 1, 2009.

1. Freebird

Freebird Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2007
    Springdale, AR
    I recently got in a batch of 20 chicks. They all made the trip through the USPS and I introduced them to the brooder like normal (dipping beaks, food on a paper towel, etc.) I noticed a few of them kept their eyes shut, even when I handled them. They weren't gunky or anything, and I opened them gently and they appeared to have "normal" eyes with no buildup that would prevent their opening. In the last two day I have lost 2 of them and I have one more that never seems to open it's eyes. When I would approach the brooder, they would often be standing alone far away from the rest, swaying back and forth a bit. I started re-dipping their beaks to get them to drink on the 2nd day, and I just tried to get the last one to eat, but it didn't seem to recognise or want food when I placed it into it's mouth. I've never seen it's eyes open, even when handled. Anyone know what the deal is? Blind chicks, maybe? The eyes look normal when I open them. The rest of the chicks are doing fine and look spry and healthy. I hate losing chicks.[​IMG]

2. HenPen

HenPen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    One of my chicks that hatched this week is doing the same thing and I am getting worried...hopefully someone more experienced will post with some advice.

3. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    lucky you! I have one chick that hatched and his eyes was ok, Later on it started to close. I thought that it was normal but then the next day he never opened that eye, I grabbed him and tried to open it and its GLUED! well not with glue but you know what I mean. Everyday now and then the eye opens only half way and it stays like that and the next day it gets glued =[ Thats only one eye the other one is ok. I hope someone comes and helps us =[

4. HenPen

Apr 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
  5. California Ducken

California Ducken Chillin' With My Peeps

I had the same problem with my last 2 chicks. Their eyes stayed closed but were able to open them. They hatched last Sunday. I Turned up the temp and put electrolytes in their water( they are in the house) and have them on Exact baby bird food. They have opened their eyes now but look like their eye holes are not big enough for their eyes. When they play with eachother and warm 98 degrees they now have their eyes open but still keep them closed most of the time. They sleep alot too!

They would peek out of their eyes occasionally.
    Pull them out put them in the house.
    Warm them up
    Electrolytes in water

That's my recent experience.....as of these last few days.....
    Lots of luck with your babies!!

6. California Ducken

[​IMG]

7. California Ducken

Here they are.....
    [​IMG]

8. HenPen

Apr 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I was just wondering how everyones sleepy chicks are doing?? My little one now called Nilla is doing much better...s/he is the smallest of all the babies but has improved.

California Ducken your babies are so cute!!

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  9. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    If their eyes are not opening, you might GENTLY hold a warm, dampened washcloth against the closed eyes. I would try this sooner rather than later, just in case they're simply a little sticky. Please keep us posted!

10. California Ducken

Thanks HenPen!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by