chicks that will not roost

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wowmanacat, Aug 2, 2011.

1. wowmanacat

wowmanacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    I have 17 6 to 9 week old chicks that will not use the roost at night. I have just moved them from the pen to the main coop and for the first two nights they just slept in the run in a "chicky pile"(puppy pile). Last night I put them in the coop and closes the poop door for the night. I am just wondering when they will start to use the roost. They have been free ranging with the other chickens for about two week now, so they all get along for the most part. I have tried to put them on the roost but they just go back to there pile. It is very hot here and there is no fan in my coop at this time. I close them in at around 9ish and Dh opens it at around 5ish so they can get out before the heat really gets bad. They had roost in the pen but there is no coop on the pen at this time.

2. LoreenH

LoreenH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Oregon
    Mine were about the same age when I put them out in the coop. It took them at least 3-4 weeks before they started using the roost, otherwise they slept in a 'chicky pile'. I even tried putting them on the roost after dark, but in the morning they were all back on the floor. Give them time and they will start using the roost.

3. wowmanacat

wowmanacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    The night before last all the chickens start to use the roosts, had one go above the door and that is here place. So now they are all on the roost and I think it is great since I had lost three the other night when they were still in the run at night and not int he coop at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by