Chicks, their yard, and tall grass question

Dolivo

Chirping
Mar 9, 2016
My chicks are almost 7 weeks old. I have been letting them out in their yard for 20 minute supervised sessions because we have hawks that are just waiting for a chicken dinner. I ordered netting to cover the yard that we will install next week. This is their yard.

I read a comment by another member that you shouldnt let them eat tall grasses ,it will impact their crop and cause illness. My question is, do i need to run out and mow and weed wack all the talll grass in their yard before letting them out full time? They have access to grit.

When they feed on 'intact' plants, they generally pull off small pieces a bit at a time. Problems are more likely to occur when birds are fed tall or long grass clippings. I don't think your pen presents a probable problem for your birds. The hawks - as you know that's another story.

When they feed on 'intact' plants, they generally pull off small pieces a bit at a time.  Problems are more likely to occur when birds are fed tall or long grass clippings.  I don't think your pen presents a probable problem for your birds.  The hawks - as you know that's another story.

Ok, thank you. I wondered because I have been watching them eat the grass and like you said, they tear off little bits. But I wanted to be sure. :)

Back
Top Bottom