Chicks this week

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mjdtexan, Oct 27, 2008.

1. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    Ok, our 20 sex-links ship this week (wednesday) and I need to make sure I am prepared. I have pine-shavings, feeders, waterers, heat lamp, white paper towels, chick starter.

1. Have I missed anything?

2. How thick do I put the pine-shavings down?

3. I am supposed to put paper towels down on top of the pine-shavings for a week or two, right?

4. I can expect eggs after a few days, right?
    (just making sure yall are paying attention)

2. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    actually i only lay paper towels or newspaper down for the first 3 days to a week then its pine shavings at least a few inches deep. Only thing you are missing is a chair to sit and watch them in [​IMG]

Edited to add: and a thermometer so you can make sure its warm enough for them... ohhh nm looks like you are set up nicely. Great brooder btw [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  3. ChickenTender63

ChickenTender63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Alamance, NC
    I think I heard someone say that after about 2 or 3 days of letting them get over the shock of shipping, they should start laying right away, lol

4. ChickenTender63

ChickenTender63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Alamance, NC
    I like your brooder, good job, and good luck with them!

5. Ol'FashionHen

Ol'FashionHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    The South
    It sounds as if you have everything, I do use the newspaper and paper towels for the first week myself and a thermometer to keep an eye on temps. Good Luck with your babies. Yes, they will lay at approx. 120 hours. [​IMG]

6. mjdtexan

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    Thanks Yall, I was gonna start with pine shavings, guess I will wait 3 days to a week before I put pine shavings down.

I should start selling eggs in about two weeks. What do yall normally experiance, 3 or 4 eggs a day from yalls pullets?

7. Ol'FashionHen

Oct 24, 2008
    The South
    ChickenTender63
    I love your signature. My DH says I have way to many things planted that we are runnung out of room. I will order grape vines, fruit trees, berry bushes, nut trees, then say well I'm gonna plant this and that come spring guess you need to till a bigger garden. He just shakes his head at me and says were are we gonna put it. [​IMG] [​IMG] We'll find somewhere.

8. Ol'FashionHen

Oct 24, 2008
    The South
    [​IMG], I once had a rooster that laid 6 eggs EVERYDAY. Poor thing died of exhaustion, Doc said.

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Great job on your brooder and good luck with your babies when you get them. I used wire in the bottom of my brooder. I have seen several post that say DON'T use wire, but mine turned out ok and the poop goes through the wire and the babies weren't in any poop. [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. mjdtexan

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    One more day untill shipping. I wonder how many roo's they are going to send for "warmth"?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by