Chicks to the coop?

littlechicks02

In the Brooder
Aug 18, 2015
darwin, Northern Territory
I have three hy-line chicks, 3 weeks and a bit, old. They have been in the nursery which has glass sides and a mesh top, the problem is that in the NT it gets awfully wet and humid and I'm worried about coccidiosis and other diseases. Do you think I can put them in the coop? It's predator and harsh weather proof, and Darwin is hot, always.

Here are some pictures of one of them :jumpy

They actually shouldn't get cocidiosis in a bin as it's usually gotten from the ground, so be aware they might pick it up from wet ground.

I move mine out as soon as I can, just provide any additional heat in the coop if they need it, anything below 75 degrees at three weeks I might give them a bit of heat, though they look pretty feathered out already, and sometimes I put mine out for the day and put them in their brooder pen at night for a few weeks.

Last edited:
They should be fine outdoors in the coop, especially if they are already being weaned off supplemental heat. If you are feeding a medicated chick starter, then there should be no worries about coccidiosis. If you're not feeding medicated, then make sure you have some sort of treatment, like Corid, on hand.

Back
Top Bottom