Chick's toes shriveling up and dying?

bpilgrim

Chirping
Jul 10, 2015
Hi Everyone, hoping someone knows what's going on and what I should do with my sweet chick. They hatched 5 days ago. This particular chick hatched later than the others. When he hatched, the bottom of one of his feet was filled with clear fluid. When I noticed and touched it, it popped and the fluid came out. I've been putting Polysporin on it to avoid any infection. Chick is eating and drinking well, and I've supplemented the water with Nutri-drench. He doesn't move around much, probably because his foot hurts, but otherwise seems fine. Today I noticed that his smallest toe has dried up...like it's dead, and noticed just now that the same thing has happened to his other foot - no fluid, just a dead toe. Also, it appears there's some kind of irritation on his hocks. Not sure if this is a by-product of just sitting most of the time...I have some Baytril on hand as well as Onycin. Should I use either of these? What's going on?

These guys have been on a heat pad I always use for my chicks, no others have this problem. I don't believe it's a result of the heat pad since I've used it for several broods, and that he hatched with a foot problem. There's no way this can be frost bite either...I've read the article on the poultry foot and leg problems, but nothing matches this. Could it be bumblefoot? I've added photos too. The second photo is the bottom of his foot that had the liquid bubble on it...Thanks for any help you can provide. He's become my buddy and I'd like to try and save him.

Attachments

• IMG_4308.JPG
    IMG_4308.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_4310.PNG
    IMG_4310.PNG
    105.6 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_4312.JPG
    IMG_4312.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4313.JPG
    IMG_4313.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Well, I'm no expert, but I can try and help. So bumblefoot usually affect older heavier birds who are outside, so I want to rule that out first. What it sounds like is either he has lost circulation on those toes so they are dying off. OR that they never fully developed in the egg and they are drying out since they are no longer hydrated by the fluid in the egg. Since they are so young it is hard to say how this will turn out. There is a good possibility he will pull through and be missing some toes. I would continue what you are doing and they do a gauze and vet wrap "pad" on the joint to add a cushion to it. Just don't wrap it too tight or he won't be able to walk!Make sure he's getting food and water. Hope this helps! keep us updated

Thank you for the response! Yeah, looks like he may also be starting to lose the tip of the middle toes too. I will keep a close eye on it, and I'll wrap the hocks too. I also dipped in Betadine just in case as well. I really hope he pulls through. I keep his food and water very close to him, and monitor often, and put him right in front of it throughout the day and watch him eat/drink. Thanks again for the response!

Well, my little chick is still kickin'! I think whatever is dying has completed it's reach and stopped dying off, all drying up... Nothing looks infected, he's still eating like a champ, but doesn't like to walk much. He pecks at his own dead toes. lol...I keep him and his pal in a cat litter box that's inside the brooder with the more rambunctious chicks - This keeps him part of the crowd as the others can come in and out of his area, but still keeps the majority away from him. I can't tell for sure, but it's almost like the joint at the ankle and the hock don't really move...so not sure what to expect as he grows. He sits/stands on his hocks almost always...If needed, I have a blind chicken that is always a wonderful roomie for another special needs bird. :) As long as he appears happy, he gets to live a good life here and I will do what's needed to care for him/her! - there's my update!

Well, my little chick is still kickin'! I think whatever is dying has completed it's reach and stopped dying off, all drying up... Nothing looks infected, he's still eating like a champ, but doesn't like to walk much. He pecks at his own dead toes. lol...I keep him and his pal in a cat litter box that's inside the brooder with the more rambunctious chicks - This keeps him part of the crowd as the others can come in and out of his area, but still keeps the majority away from him. I can't tell for sure, but it's almost like the joint at the ankle and the hock don't really move...so not sure what to expect as he grows. He sits/stands on his hocks almost always...If needed, I have a blind chicken that is always a wonderful roomie for another special needs bird. :) As long as he appears happy, he gets to live a good life here and I will do what's needed to care for him/her! - there's my update!
That's awesome! Glad to hear hes doing well!!

Back
Top Bottom