Chicks Toes Turned To the Side

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cdeans, Dec 13, 2008.

1. cdeans

cdeans Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I have a chick that is about 10 weeks old. I noticed today her toes are curled and turned to the side She really only uses her nub to walk on, her toes seem rubbery as she walks and moves, anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

2. jaybme

jaybme Chillin' With My Peeps

I have had two like that. I kept taping their feet hoping for the toes to straighten out but the remained rubbery so long I finally gave up. I wish I had taped them just before 12 or so weeks, as that is when they finally firmed up.

SInce I didn't they always walked on the sides. It did not seem to bother them, until they bot got an infection in the tucked under toe. I decided to cull as they were getting worse and worse, and it would not ever end.

If they had not gotten infected, I think they would have been fine- none of the other chickens minded, they ate, and could walk fine. I did install a handicapper ramp, with sticky shelf liner instead of raised boards, as their balance was off a little.

Good luck!

Jayne

3. onebuggirl

onebuggirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2008
    My 2 year old barred rock hen has curled toes. I was told it was from when she was a chick and did not sit on roosting bars. DO your ck=hicks have little bars to stand on and roost? I guess this helps with the toes growing straight.

4. cdeans

cdeans Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Yeah we have bars for them, in there brooders, with plenty of room. So I dont know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by