Chicks too cold or scared?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Roxannemc, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    Have ten 8-9 week old chicks outside the last 3 weeks
    Added 3 silver laced Brahmas a week younger 6 1/2 weeks old
    .The second week out They dont want t o come out of the coop drink or eat with the others only rarely and dont run to eat unless its put in with them.
    They mostly huddle together under the light bulb its been about 75 or so out
    . They dont seem sick as they eat if i put it in there but seem afraid or something.Thought they would be over it now. I dont see the others paying any attention to them at all so dont so know if they are picked on.

I am starting a coop of their own today as i feel like they are afraid of the others.
    Also
    Tonite it may get to 30 I see they have some fuzz still on their backs between their shoulders. all else is feathered Its 50 out now and they are huddled as usual Others are all outside but fluffed out in the cool air.(Was 80 yesterday)There are 13 of them total to keep each other warm and 2 roosts to sit on but Should i put a heating lamp in instead of the 60 watt light bulb? I am afraid it will get way too hot.The coop is just 2 ft tall and 4 ft long.

I dont know what to do with them tonite in the cold Bring them back inside?Leave them ?
    What?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I'm in MO too.
    You may want to bring them in for the nights in the 30s for a few days but the sooner they're exposed to lower temps the better they'll feather out.
    I'm surprised they're not sufficiently feathered by now. They may just be chilled because it's been so warm but they should be OK.
    Try boosting their protein to help them feather. I usually go with at least 20% for growing birds.

3. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    They should be ok in the cooler temps without the lamp. They will feather out quicker without the added warmth and with winter coming would be best to get them acclimated in my opinion. Was reading a thread a couple of days ago and most in Alaska and Canada do not heat their coops.

4. Roxannemc

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    Quote:' Hi Ron and thanks for responding . UPDATE AS ITS SORT OF ODD. One them died Friday night some time and another looked like he was going to die this morning.Sunday .. weak and laying down not moving much even when touched so i brought them inside in a box fed them vitimins and water with food in it by eye dropper and within an hour they both were eating out of the bowl well and drinking doing well. They were in with others week older ones outside for the last 2 weeks and frankly I think they didnt eat much in with them for some reason i guess afraid but i didnt see them picked on at all.Weird. They really chowed down in here alone and unde the heat lamp They dont have theIr real feathers between their shoulders only baby fuzz dont know why b/c my Light Brahma babies are a week younger have all their feathers now. Strange on these laced Brahmas but i guess the lack of food and then cold was too much for them.Glad i saved 2 anyway. Thanks again. .

5. Roxannemc

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    Quote:Chicken Canoe thanks. I lost one Friday night sometime and SAt the other 2 were out eating so thought they were fine but this morning one was laying down and not responding well so did bring them in and under a heat lamp and as you see in my post to Ron C fed by eye dropper until they perked up .Yes they dont have their real feather between their shoulders...... odd. Thank again for the post.dont know when you posted but maybe if i looked earlier i could have saved the one Friday Feel really really bad about that.

6. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Sorry you lost some of your little ones. Prolonging the use of a heatlamp will cause them to feather slower. Maybe the change was too sudden for them. Even back inside I would start weening them off the light so they can acclimate to cooler weather.

7. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Another possibility was access to feed.
    With different age birds or adding new birds of any age it's best to add feeders and waterers until they get along.

8. Roxannemc

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    Thanks Ron...a beginners mistake with chicks..Yes they were starving.They had been inside with a large bowl of food but i guess were too afraid to eat even alone.
    Once they got inside they ate ate ate and still are ...not stopping!
    One is feathering pretty well on its back about done the other isn't .Still all fuz with some pin feather's underneath though. They are happy in the bathroom.Have been turning the lamp off during the day ..Cold at night in my bathroom though but soon i guess i should let them go without it.. in there anyway They have to go out to the new coop i am building just for them...sometime.
    Wonder if they would do better with some younger chicks rather than older?I have some a week 1/2 younger too that need a coop also.Hoped to integrate them all.

9. aggiemae

aggiemae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Salem Oregon
    We have a 'shy' chicken, she's our only Wellsummer, and though the other hens never peck her and only one of them chases her off, I can see that she isn't par of the group so I have to take time to make sure that she gets her share of food and sometimes move her to the front yard so she can forage for bugs in peace. She's 27 weeks old and still not laying and I am starting to wonder if her (bottom hen) position in the flock is the reason.

BTW I think chicks that are a week or two apart in age will be OK together.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by