Chicks too hot?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by featheredroots, Mar 4, 2012.

1. featheredroots

featheredroots Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Madisonville, KY
    Yesterday my week and half old chicks slept most of the day. I was slightly concerned(usually they're really busy), but figured they just needed rest from growing so fast, but last night I went in to find one of my australorps lethargic and week. All the others seemed fine, so I checked her over, but couldn't find anything outwardly wrong, but noticed that when I place her back in the brooder she laid with her wings puffed out. The rest didn't really look hot, but I didn't know what else to do, so I raised the brooder lamp and gave her some sugar water, within a few minutes she was perking up. I waited another hour checked her, she was still punky, so I gave her more sugar water, and let her rest. When I checked on her before bed she was up and eating, and this morning acts just like her old self.

I'm assuming she was just too hot, but would love to hear from some you chicken experts out there.

2. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    Have you measured the temp with a thermometer?

3. featheredroots

May 4, 2011
    Madisonville, KY
    I did this morning and it's about 90 in there. I'm having a hard time keeping it adjusted to keep them all comfortable, after I raised the lamp last night they all moved directly under it, but this morning they're scattered about, and some are puffing there wings again, so I just raised the lamp a bit more.

They're all energetic again, but the one australorp is holding her left wing out slightly, so I'm not sure what's going on. I'm keeping a close eye on them, and will keep adjusting the lamp as needed. Any more advice would be greatly appreciated.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, it sounds as if it is too hot. Wings out with beak open and panting means they are too hot.

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Is your brooder large enough so that they can get out from under the heat lamp if they get to warm? I always had mine just at one end so they could easily get away from it.

6. featheredroots

May 4, 2011
    Madisonville, KY
    [​IMG].
    Thank you for all the replies....she's doing much better! She's the Australorp in the front.

I raised the brooder lamp up twice today, and they all seem to be more active, although they're hanging out under the lamp more now(that's where they are in this pic). I wish I could leave the thermometer in the brooder, but they peck at it non stop, I'm afraid they'll break it. I'm keeping the house temp consistent, and checking on them often, hopefully I've got it right now.

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    That's EXACTLY how you want them - hanging out together under the lamp, but not to where they are piled on top of each other. You have it perfect now.

8. featheredroots

May 4, 2011
    Madisonville, KY
    Awesome....thank you! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by