Chicks totally terrified of me?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mrstillery09, Mar 9, 2012.

1. mrstillery09

mrstillery09 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2012
    Kansas City, Missouri
    We've had our chicks since Saturday. Got them at Orshelns. Since they've been home they have done really well! They are however, totally terrified of people. Anytime I open their brooder they all start flapping and running, and trying to hid in the corner. When I do take them out and handle them they do lots of scared chirping and they tremble [​IMG] Is this something that will clear up with time, or should I be doing something in particular to help them be less terrified?

2. DCasper

DCasper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    Benton, KY
    For the first week I try not to pick them up. I will put my hand in the brooder so they can get used to me and then scratch them between the wings so they will learn that I will not hurt them and that me touching them is a good thing. After a few days of this, they should start to warm up to you. But they are not like a puppy that only wants to please you.

2 people like this.
  3. thomaschickens

thomaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Washougal, WA
    I have 13 babies that I have had for almost a week now. I did what DCasper suggested by letting them just get used to having my hand in the brooder. Another thing I do is put a little of their feed in my hand and then hold out my open hand in their brooder. Once one comes up and eats out of my hand all of the others decide it's a good idea as well and follow suit [​IMG] Now that I've been doing this for about 4 days, they are used to me and there are quite a few of them that actually jump up into my hand as soon as I put it in the brooder [​IMG] Be patient with them and move slowly. Some of them, no matter what I do, want nearly nothing to do with me. I think it may just be their breed but I'll keep working with them. Best of luck. There is nothing sweeter than when they are excited to see you and come right up to you!!!

4. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I've noticed that my broods that go into my tiny brooder with simi-clear sides are less fligthy. What kind of brooder do you have? My solid walled brooder freaks them out, because they get no ambient exposure to the rest of their surroundings, and when you come in from the top, it resembles a predator which instinctually causes them to freak out.

Also, breed may have alot to do with how your babies react. My easter egger babies are around 12 weeks old now, and it took them a LONG time to get to the point where they come up to me instead of trying to get away, wheras my speckled sussex and jersey giants who have only been here a few days already come running up when they see me.

5. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    Try talking to them as you walk up .It seems to give them advanced warning your comeing...cva34

1 person likes this.
  6. huckleberry acres

huckleberry acres Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2011
    South Alabama
    My 44 chicks were born Feb 27th and freak out when they see me, but settle down as soon as I speak. They must be used to my voice because as when my wife comes in and speaks, they really freak out.

7. mrstillery09

mrstillery09 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2012
    Kansas City, Missouri
    This makes me feel a little better! Right now we have them in our living room area, and their brooder is an older rabbit hutch. The sides are hardwire cloth. They are used to the dogs and cats peering at them, and they do know my voice as when I speak to them they all stop and listen. I also noticed they are much more afraid of my husband or other family members versus me. I guess I'll just keep taking it slow and steady! I'm just glad to know I'm not the only one who has this issue!

8. NestingHillsSC

NestingHillsSC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2012
    Tennessee
    I agree. There not per say "PETS". There chickens!! I did notice once they started to grow feathers they are a lot more jumpy. They seem to be scared of everything. I put a branch in there for them to stand on and took them an hour to get even near it. [​IMG] I can talk with them, stick my figures in there and touch them when they come up, but as soon as I stand up they go crazy. Just the way they are. My hens outside laying eggs, they know my voice, they know who feeds them, they will follow you around in the run, but DON'T try to pick them up, they will go crazy!! Which I don't care. Don't have them for lap chickens or pets really, JUST lay them great eggs!!! [​IMG]

9. Madjohn85

Madjohn85 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2012
    Central Jersey
    There is a reason that some people who scare easily are called 'chickens', and I believe you have just discovered it. [​IMG]

Mine are getting used to the cats being on top of their brooder, the beagles sniffing at the side, the howls, they kids, me talking to them ect. And yet, still, whenever I go in there to clean up the pine or get the container to give them fresh water or more feed, you would think the world is coming to an end and the huddle together in the corner hoping I won't notice they are alive and in there.

Speaking of...remember Chicken Little?

[​IMG] " THE WORLD IS COMOING TO AN END!!"

Does it make sense now? [​IMG]

10. Guinea and Chicken raiser

Guinea and Chicken raiser Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2012
    Northern Louisana
    it will clear up. they weren't taught to be used to people or people mishandled them, like little kids. my chickens been through a lot. I had 28 baby chicks. I had a hen nesting too in the house in her corner. We left her at home. We came back, she was not nesting, and she killed 4 of the babies. We had a bunch hiding in a corner and one was under our fridge. I have 3 adult hens that survived a dog attack just last year. They realize there is danger in the world. I believe they get nightmares when they sleep most of the time. I wish there was something I could do about it..

Now, I got a question... Are Black Jersey Giant babies supposed to have white tipped wings? I got 5 Black Giants and 3 of them had white line on the bottom edge of their wings when they are normal stance. 2 didn't. Red Hen, killed one but thankfully there is one Black Giant I have that does not have any white on it's wing, maybe a tiny gray on the inside edge I can barely see when chicken is relaxed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by