1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks under heat Lamp?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenman75, Jun 6, 2011.

1. chickenman75

chickenman75 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Hey all,

I have three baby RR's chicks that are 4-6wks old. How much longer do they stay under the heat lamp?

2. Sooner

Sooner My kids Mom!

Mar 22, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Where are you at & how hot is it outside. I believe the general rule is that they start at 99 degree's & go down 5 deree's a week.

Here is it very hot, not sure I could put a light on them at all except maybe at night.

3. chickenman75

chickenman75 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Quote:I'm from Upstate NY in the Mtns. We've had cool weather lately, but is supposed to warm up this week, 80's. I believe 75 - 80 degrees is where I am at with the chicks.

4. kesali

kesali Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    far northern Wisconsin
    Mine are 5 weeks as of today and I put them in a coop and run yesterday. At night it gets into the low forties but the coop has no electricity yet, so no heat lamp. Last night it was down to 42F. They all seem happy in the am and can't wait to get turned loose in the run.

5. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    If your night-time temps drop below 65, I would still provide the lamp at night; especially for the 4-week-olds.

[​IMG]

6. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    Should be no problem if nights are in the high fifties. Colder than that as young as they are, I would put a 60 watt light on them during the night.
    When the temps rise above seventy, I would cut the light off.
    If they are too cold they will huddle in a pile.
    If they get too hot they will move away from the light.
    They will stay warmer on a dirt floor than if they are elevated or on wire.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by