Chicks Under the Deck

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by darrylv50, Jan 2, 2014.

1. darrylv50

darrylv50 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    I live on 26 acres with my house in the middle. I am surrounded by cornfields on 3 sides and a treeline on one. I let my 9 girls freerange every day from morning until dusk. They are happy and good layers. We have had an early winter here in southern Michigan and I wondered from reading others comments that their chicks are only out a few hours a day. Am I wrong to leave mine out for so long. They don't seem to mind. We have a large deck on the back of our house and they spend most of the day when it is snowy under the deck in the dirt. My 3 Wyandottes do not want to come out at night to go in the coop and roost. I think of all of the girls they hate the snow the most. Please advise. Thanks, Darryl[​IMG]
    Goldie, My beautiful Golden Wyandotte

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    I don't have much experience with snow, but would suggest making a path from the deck to the run so that they don't have to walk in the snow.

Chris

3. darrylv50

darrylv50 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    I have done this but the three of them just look at me like "Are you crazy, we don't want to walk down that hill in that snow." I guess they forget they walked up the hill to get to the deck. The other 6 (4 Reds and 2 black satin sex links) just waddle on down to the coop. We have a retaining wall beside the deck and they will fly to the top of the wall and make quite a production of sitting there until one will finally fly down to the coop then the other 2 will follow. We have so much snow today that I just shoveled around their coops put down lots of fresh straw made them oatmeal and beans and opened the coop door so they could just come out in that area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by