1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks vaccinated for Merck disease?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rocking chicks, Jan 28, 2013.

1. rocking chicks

rocking chicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2013
    Getting chicks i 4 days from hatchery and want to go as organic as possible - ie. soy free organic feed, free range etc. Should I get the chicks vaccinated for Merck disease? Will they be okay if not vaccinated?

2. lucyharper123

lucyharper123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2012
    you don't have to get the vaccination but if you want to prevent from happining yes get it but the hatchery has probally done it already if you want to find out just phone them and ask :)

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    When possible, get vaccinated chicks.

4. Lady Badlands

Lady Badlands Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2009
    I would have to disagree with getting a vaccination for Mareks. I wrote about this today in one of these threads, but my first batch of chicks three years ago were vaccinated by the hatchery and two of them contracted the disease anyway. I've had several subsequent batches of chicks, none of them were vaccinated and none of them developed Mareks.

So, it's been my experience that some chicks vaccinated with the live virus will contract the disease. I was able to cure the two from the original batch with applications of Colloidal Silver, which is an anti-viral, and a natural product.

I, too, have completely organic chickens. My feed is organic, I give them filtered water so I'm not chlorinating or fluoridating them and I never use pharmaceuticals on them. The couple times I've dewormed them, I use natural herbs specifically for this purpose from Mollys Herbs here: https://www.fiascofarm.com/herbs/mollysherbals.php/categories/herbal-wormer

Enjoy your feathered babies!

1 person likes this.
  5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    All but one of my flock has not been vaccinated and I'm staring to see 1 in 10 with signs/symptoms of Merek's. My oldest hen, now about nine years, old was vaccinated and looks fine. Merek's is one of the most common causes of death that the UC Davis Pathology Lab sees.

6. rocking chicks

rocking chicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2013
    Hi;
    Thanks for the reply. Can I pick your brain about going organic with your chickens? I got my chicks this week 50% death at post office, contracted hatchery and got credit & got replacement chicks coming. The surviving chicks are still dying 2 a day. My husband thinks we should give them medicated feed. I think they were so stressed that they couldn't make a come back but they should by now be better eating organic soy free feed and water with save a chick & another water with apple cider vinegar.
    Any comments or help will be appreciated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by