chicks vs young hens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Dee Gee, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Dee Gee

Dee Gee New Egg

Mar 5, 2014
    I have the opportunity to get 14-18 month old Barred Rock hens; I had intended to buy chicks so we could bond, and be lovey and enjoy each others' company. If I get these older chickens, will this inhibit such a relationship? This is my first backyard chicken foray as an adult. As I child, we had a flock before my parents started an egg farm where 32,000 hens were inhumanely crammed into little cages - I will not eat commercially raised eggs because I know the poor life those chickens suffer. I would love the availability of home grown range run chicken eggs which would happen a full year earlier with these older hens. (My husband has reluctantly agreed to the escapade, oops, endeavor so having eggs quickly would help soften the blow.) And in a strange way, one of the reasons is I want happy chickens to make amends for my previous - but unwillingly committed - crimes. I have a run - coons, have ordered drink cups and an auto feeder and am building a coop. But I want my chickens to know me and feel close. Should I get chicks / pullets with the extended maturation time or can I hope to bond with mature girls?

2. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    Obtaining older birds is just fine. I got six Ameraucanas that were about six months old at the time. Extremely skittish and shy. They've been with me for about a year and a half now and are now just as sweet and friendly as the rest of my hens. It just takes time and commitment. I actually didn't do anything more than my usual rounds (feeding, collecting eggs etc.) twice a day and they just eventually figured out that I wasn't there to hurt them. [​IMG] Best of luck!

1 person likes this.
  3. Chicka and Co

Chicka and Co Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2014
    Australia
    Either way if you spend plenty of time with your birds you will develop a good bond. I've had 6 hybrid layers since they were little day olds and they became extremely tame. I've also had 3 birds since point-of-lay age, they came nervous and flighty, and with a bit of time spent hand-feeding them and handling them each day they too have become almost as friendly and tame. They are very sweet now. Good luck with yours!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by