chicks w/ names update- NEW pics!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenlisa, Aug 22, 2008.

1. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    long story short- I had 3 broody hens setting on 3 batches of bought or traded desired eggs...frizzled cochins (dipsydoodledoo) and Black Langshans (scfarms) and some local frizzled cochins and silkies. Hatch day came and went and I decided to candle the eggs...all of the local ones were bad- rotten and runny and so stinky! The shipped eggs were mostly bad and rotten too, but I saved 1 Black Langshan egg (with a moving chick inside) and 4 of Dipsy's frizzled cochins eggs with good (I think) chicks inside. I put these eggs into my 2nd incubator and had them laying on their sides like they were under the hens. Well, yesterday 1 wee Cochin hatched and tonight another one hatched! (Dipsy- if you read this- 1 was from the foil wrapped set and 1 wasn't- so 1:1 so far... [​IMG] )They are dark blue or black and white- mottled sort of... A 3rd egg has a pip, and the Black Langshan egg has a pip too. Hoping for these 5 eggs to hatch out for me- after losing about 25 other eggs in all. No clue why they were rotten. It hasn't even been as hot as other summers lately.
    Here are their baby pics! I'm so excited to have at least a couple- but bummed to not have a bunch of them!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  2. Hi Lisa! That's just raggedy bad luck. I'm sorry.
    I hope the rest pop on out for you.

[​IMG]
    Lisa

3. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Cool - the one standing up looks like one of the cochins I hatched from Lisa also! We named him Petey Penguin.

Hope the rest of your hatch goes well!

4. chickenlisa

Apr 9, 2007
    I love that name- Petey Penquin! So cute! He (she?) looks penquin like. So maybe Petunia Penguin?

2 more hatched overnight [​IMG] so there are 4 chicks out of 5 eggs in my hatcher right now. The Black Langshan is 1 that hatched! [​IMG] I cleaned out the brooder box last night and will get them all in there later this morning. Hopefully that 1 egg still can hatch [​IMG] but if not, at least I got 4 babies. We love wee baby fuzzybutts- who doesn't? My daughter watches tv with 1 on her lap as much as I'll let her.
    More pics later.

edited to say- that egg won't hatch. It popped when I was candling it. UGH! So they are going out to the brooder as soon as the latest ones dry off a bit more.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  5. chickenlisa

Apr 9, 2007
    here are those pix:
    [​IMG]
    all 4 in the brooder box (a smaller box for now inside the big box)

[​IMG]
    the lone Black Langshan chick-"Ranger"

[​IMG]
    "Penelope"

[​IMG]
    "Punky and Petunia"

6. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    cute chicks! Great names too. Especially Ranger [​IMG]

I love that last picture - those two look pretty intense [​IMG]

7. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    AAWWW!!! Tjose chicks are adorable! [​IMG] [​IMG] LOL I love baby chicks! I have raised baby chicks before and boy what fun that was!!! [​IMG] We would hold them and carry them around(they were like a day old or more when we bought them) they loved it when we would bring them outside. Now those chicks are pullets and are about to start laying, yet they still love the attention and we love them very much!!! My hen is named Cinnamon! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I LOVE CINNAMON!!! [​IMG]

Your chicks are great looking! They look really healthy. I am sorry you lost most of them. [​IMG] Hopefully you have better luck next time if you ever try to hatch more!!! [​IMG]
    -77horses [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Oh and I LOVED the names! They are sooo cute. [​IMG] I love how a lot of them start with P's. LOL and that last picture of Punky and Petunia(which are awesome names!) LOOKS SOO FUNNY! [​IMG] LOL sorry the last egg didn't make it. But I am glad that you still got 4 hatched! Congrats by the way on your 4 fuzz balls of joy!! [​IMG]

9. chickenlisa

Apr 9, 2007
    thanks for all of your kind words. I started out not naming any chickens- I thought it was bad luck or something. But my 10 yr old dd didn't listen anyway. So most of them have names. I don't remember who is whom tho as they grow and change, as I've been hatching chicks and ducklings (and guineas and buttons) since May and I"m not stopping now either. I've got Splash Silkies in the bator now and 2 under my poor Sumi (the Sumatra whose eggs were ALL rotten) and a dozen Sumatra eggs in my bator too. Only 2 or 3 of them have veins though, but I'm so addicted to baby chicks (baby anythings!) that I'll keep at it as long as I can.... (house them? feed them? ) Anyways, thanks again- and I'll keep taking pics of them as they grow.
    Lisa

10. chickenlisa

Apr 9, 2007
    My grouchy broody hen Sumi finally gets to be a mother now. [​IMG] I had slipped 2 Splash Silkie eggs under after all of her other eggs were determined to be rotten. She was still sitting, and seemed intent on her broody state. So today I got to see her first baby. [​IMG] Its all fluffy already, and the empty shell is pushed out from underneath her. The other eggs is still under Sumi; I got to see it when she stood up and the little chick showed itself. I'll try to post pics if I see it again anytime soon. So cute! (dark Blue or black though- not light at all.) That's ok, I'll just have to go buy or trade more Splash silkie eggs. [​IMG]
    Lisa
    edited to add their pics and to say that the other egg was crushed open and the membrane stuck badly to the dead baby chick. So sad to find that pushed out of the nest.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by