Chicks Wanted So California

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by SanClementeChick, Feb 28, 2007.

1. SanClementeChick

SanClementeChick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2007
    I have been researching raising chickens and decided its for me! I am looking for 3-4 chicks (ideally a Buff Orpington, Leg horn, and Barred Plymouth Rock) I live in San Clemente CA and I am willing to drive from No LA to San Diego or Inland Empire to pick up. I have been unable to find a hatchery willing to send small quantities. Any ideas Chicken Lovers?
    Thanks

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

There are a couple people in Norco that can help you. Call Celeste at Ham and Eggs Ranch 951-272-8455 and tell her that Carri Brown gave you her number. She usually has babies to sell.
    I have a friend that is also in Norco and he has a large assortment of chicks. I'm going to his place tonight to drop some eggs in his bator. I'll ask him what he has going on right now.

3. SanClementeChick

SanClementeChick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2007
    Thanks Carri! I will give her a call.
    Susan

4. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I sent you an email... I have another friend who has eggs hatching now and would charge approx. $5 a bird as opposed to Celeste's $10-$15.
    I'm guilty of spending more for what I really really want, but if you may like what Jim has to offer!

5. Backyard Buddies

Backyard Buddies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    Hey! Another OC Chicken Lover! Welcome! In addition to Carri's connections, there are a couple of feed stores in the area that carry chicks.

Midway City Feed (Westminster/Huntington Beach area) has chicks year round and often has the breeds you seek. Their new stock comes in each Wednesday.

I haven't been there, but I understand that Wagon Train Feed and Tack in the city of Orange also carries chicks.

Enjoy your new babies!

6. Bokbok

Bokbok Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2007
    If you want chicks that are already 3 weeks old, I have orpintons, australorps, and auracanas. I live in San Luis Obispo Co. but we might be able to meet. You might want the wonderful experience of starting from day old, though. Because it's so fun!

7. BalancedCAmom

BalancedCAmom Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    Hi SanClementechick and welcome!
    Also try Kruse Feed store in La Habra, they always have great chicks and are very helpful. I think I bought mine for $3-5 a piece, just a couple of days old. They also have some older birds that people couldn't keep out front that they have really great deals on, they have bunnies too. They have a great variety, I have Rhode Island Reds, Barred rock, buff orps, and Ameracaunas from them that have been extremely healthy and you can buy as much or as little as you want. I would suggest minimum of 4 so that they stay warm depending on your property size. I have six girls and they supply our family of six people fine! My extended family gets some when i have too many and love it. I have green eggs from my Ameracauna, the kids love to eat green eggs with their ham! (OK I had a picky eater and I finally got him to eat eggs, GREEN ones:)

It's a bit of a drive for you but if you only want a few, it's worth it. They have a great deal of supplies too.
    Good luck!
    Lisa in Yorba Linda

Last edited: Mar 19, 2007
  8. silkiepjsg

silkiepjsg Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2007
    Altadena, Calif
    If you are willing to drive to Pasadena (actually, Altadena) Steve's Pets on Lake Ave gets baby chicks on April 12th this year. They are usually about $3 each. You must buy 3 or more. You can give them a call to see what breeds they are getting when. They usually get several shipments, of about 3 breeds each time. The chicks are healthy there. There is also a store in El Monte which I have forgotten the name of, but sometimes the chicks are not so healthy. The drive will be about 90 mins for you, maybe a bit more. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by