chicks wasting food

schemi

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 12, 2014
Southern Oreegon
I have 12 chicks right now and they are spreading the food all over the place. I have noticed the ameracaunas doing most of the damage. I have tried the galvanized chick feeder trays and they get filled up with shavings in minutes. I have also tried making a feeder out of a small bucket and a pie tin. This leaves a half inch trough around the outside of the bucket but the ameracaunas just fling the food out of there. I have tried hanging the feeder and it still happens. I filled the bucket last night and it was empty this morning. It looks like they scratched up all the feed and shavings and made a large pile next to the feeder. Please help

Elevating should have worked. Look at how high you tried placing it. Low enough they can get the feed, but out of foot scratching reach. This is assuming they are removing it with their feet? If they are throwing it out with beaks, then no idea to help.

Wasted feed pretty much goes along with raising chicks. They get bored in a brooder and scratching or billing all the food out of the feeder entertains them. I set mine on a large square of wood, it not only raises the feeder up a little out of the bedding but it also catches the food they bill out and they end up eating a lot more of it that way. Some feed still ends up in the bedding but then they entertain themselves for hours scratching and "foraging" for food.

They are doing it with their beaks. They have lots of room to mess around in. What are some good forms of entertainment to keep them busy?

How old are they? Chicks are busy creatures and even with enough room brooders are rather boring spaces once they get past about two weeks old. I start putting mine out in a pen on grass and dirt several hours a day, weather permitting of course, at 3 weeks old. Gives them something to do, a change of scenery and takes the edge of their energy. Then it's out to the coop full time at 5 weeks.

They are doing it with their beaks. They have lots of room to mess around in. What are some good forms of entertainment to keep them busy?
We bought baby cakes from tractor supply, the loved it. Like a flock block for for chicks, you hang it in the brooder and they pound it. I also had a thermometer in the brooder, they loved to peck it as well. They also love dried mealy worms - make sure you mix some chick grit into food if you offer these--they really get excited at treat time.

The chicks are 2 1/2 - 4 weeks old. They are outside in a 4x8 run with a 3x4 heated coop. They can go play in the dirt whenever they want. They have been out in the sunshine most of the time but it has been cold and rainy for the last few days.

We also raise our feeders up on 2x4's. this way the shavings don't get into the feeder. If you have the feeders with the individual holes, they can't use their beaks to fling the food out as easily, they just peck at it.

Now that our newest flock is getting to be 8+ weeks old, we are using raised feeders that hang a little bit off the ground. They're outside in the run all day (2500 sf), so they have plenty to keep them occupied and food is used mainly for sustenance, not playing in.

The chicks are 2 1/2 - 4 weeks old. They are outside in a 4x8 run with a 3x4 heated coop. They can go play in the dirt whenever they want. They have been out in the sunshine most of the time but it has been cold and rainy for the last few days.

Chicks also love to peck at greens, maybe grow some sunflower sprouts or some other type of greens for them to go after. Ours LOVE it!

Back
Top Bottom