Chicks went to bed all by themselves!

chick-e-chick

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 21, 2008
uk
We've just started keeping our first lot of chicks (3) out in their run, for the past 3 nights they call us at about 8.30 and we've had to pick them up and put them in their 'house', last night it was really quiet and we went out to see what they were up to and they'd gone inside on their own....it was lovely, hope they do the same tonight.

It took mine about 3 nights to "get it" too! It is wonderful when they do it all by themselves! Now with the sun staying up longer I noticed so do they! However my hubby is up for work at 3:15 AM so we go to bed by 9! Well the chickens don't think so! I may have to start staying up later.
smile.png

Oh! we go to bed by 9pm too! we're both up at 4am for work, but as it stays lighter longer I'm not sure what our chicks will do, their coop has a door on it which although it's fully enclosed by the run and no cats or foxes can get in, I do worry about mice or rats, don't know if there are any around here but don't want to leave the door open. Will just have to stay up later I suppose LOL.

Mine must be lazy. LOL! They go to bed around 6 or 7 now that it is lighter out. It is still light out when they go to bed! I sometimes go in there to check their water & food around 6 or 7 and they are already roosting! Same with the mornings, I'll go in at 9am and they are all still on the roosts! What a life! LOL

I have two hens that go to bed before dark. My new hen stays up as late as she can. I'm hoping when I'm able to integrate her with the other two they convince her to join them in the earlier bed time rather than the other way around.
It is a neat thing that they just do that. Even my ducks put themselves t bed each night. I just into their pen and lock up the door to their little house and they are safe and sound for the night.

I open the coop door at about 4.30am as I leave for work and the three of them are ready to pop straight out!!

Back
Top Bottom