Chicks - What did I get? Pics included.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Redhead Hen, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Redhead Hen

Redhead Hen Songster

Apr 14, 2009
    Rising Sun, Maryland
    I have 7 chicks right now.[​IMG] One I think is a silkie - I got it from a breeder and that is what they told me it is. The others I got from TSC this past week. Three out of the bantam bin and 3 out of the mixed straight run bin. My pics are not the best in the world - lighting is not great. Any one know what they are??

This is the Silkie. Partridge silkie?[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This one I think is a mille fleur - is it? It came out of the bantam bin.
    [​IMG]

The next two are also from the bantam bin. One is slightly larger than the other one and they didn't want their picture taken!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These three came from the mixed straight run bin. They each have two redish stripes down their backs.
    [​IMG]

Any help in identifying them would be appreciated![​IMG] I am also going to take their picture once a week just to see how they change! It's kinda exciting to see how much they change![​IMG]

2. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Songster

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Parridge silkie, mille fleur d'uccle, golden sebrights, white rocks or white leghorns.

3. Redhead Hen

Redhead Hen Songster

Apr 14, 2009
    Rising Sun, Maryland
    Thanks! [​IMG] I was thinking that the last 3 were Golden Comets. But my husband always wanted Leghorns![​IMG]

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I don't think the last pic is white rock or white leghorn. Those chicks look buff colored, not yellow.

If they are buff with 2 orange stripes down their backs, then they are golden comet pullets.

5. Chew593

Chew593 Songster

oh my gosh your Silkie is adorable! (Still learning myself) The bottom 3 do look like the Golden Comet Sex Links I got from TSC about a week ago, but why would they be in straight run bin?

Here is a link to my first set bought at TSC They told me the little buff one was a Rhoad Island Red and I got it out of the straight run bin.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=149499

and here is a link to my second batch and there's a picture of a GCSL pullet
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=157207

Just so you know, the employees at TSC know about as much as I do about chicken breeds, and they've given me wrong information in the past. I am not convinced that first buff baby of mine is a RIR... but who knows?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  6. Dr.Doorlock

Dr.Doorlock Songster

Oct 21, 2008
    Garland, Texas
    I KNOW! They're loveable little chicks!

Who can argue?

7. Redhead Hen

Redhead Hen Songster

Apr 14, 2009
    Rising Sun, Maryland
    Quote:They are yellow with orange or red stripes down their backs. Two have very distinct stripes and one has a bit more red down it's back. But they do look like other pics I have seen of golden comets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by